This site best viewed at 800x600 or greater resolution. Please support Our Advertisers. They make this site possible!

HistoricalTrekking.com
Small Horizontal Row
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
 CalendarCalendar   LinksLinks 
Grand Portage Event

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Message Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KarlK
User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:40 am    Post subject: Grand Portage Event Reply with quote

A hearty "Thank you" to those reenactors from Minnesota, Manitoba, Ontario, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Pennsylvania, Michigan, North Dakota, South Dakota, California, Missouri and Ohio who came to our small little place on Lake Superior.
The mackina boat, the batteau and canoes await your visit next year. The Park is pleased with the event and the reenactors who participated, we hope you enjoyed the opening of the new Heritage Center as well.
A special thank you for those who assisted by helping the event out be it...presenting a talk, workshop, organizing a LaCrosse match in the yard or jut helping our staff covering their area.
I thank you...anyone take any pictures?
Karl Koster
LaFrenierre
User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mon ami, Karl (and rest of GP crew) -
Merci beaucoup to all of you for hosting the best of the best Great Lakes fur trade events!!! Fantastic site, great logistics, wonderful staff, and a grand time was had by all.
LaFrenierre
RFDecarter

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karl,

Thank you and the rest of the staff for putting on such a great event. It was my wife's first time to accompany me on an 18th century experience and she had such a great time I'm sure she'll want to do more.

And given that I even won a door prize (a canoe paddle carved by a another member of Lac Superieur) I'll be sure to bring something to contribute next year.

Thanks again.

Robert

A few photos...

The Great Hall

The new Heritage Center

La Verendrye

Susnset Saturday night

Sorry, had to re-do the photos after making changes to the photo sharing website

Last edited by RFDecarter on Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:09 pm; edited 2 times in total
Sieur Phillipe Chenier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karl et al,

Some pics, we were busy to so many workshops. Congrats to those guys who won the Fur Trade Trivia Contest (oh yeah I was one of those guys LOL!) The ladies show loved the blacksmithing workshop! The unit had a blast again and public was pleased. We were talking (in French) with a couple from Montreal and he was telling us how great it was to be teaching Americans about the French Regime. He did not realize that I was from the US and that unit was a International unit. I took it as a compliment and the we did not tell him.

LaFrenierre
User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mon ami, Philippe -
Wonderful photos. You know, I usually try to be low key during the drawing for the prizes, but ohhh did we lust for that painting. I think most everyone could envision it in some special spot in their home!

Good action shots of one of the lacrosse matches -- I remember Nate wiping out that young kid in the one sequence.

Lovely shot of the canoe with GP Island in the background. We went out the next day -- grand experience paddling a big canoe on the big water.

LaFrenierre
Sieur Phillipe Chenier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are a couple more:

one of our bayonette charge and the other of the victorious fur trade trivia champions or should I say killers? I also added some more, a couple of us on patrol and one of the kids. You could not separate Julian and Tillie!

Last edited by Sieur Phillipe Chenier on Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
KarlK
User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:23 pm    Post subject: GP Reply with quote

We had about 140 camps and just over 300 reenactors. The willow basketry of Jacki B was a smashing sucess as was Mr. Cook's class on "Women Blacksmithing" and Kimpell and Shram's workings with tin (We love the new ash-pan for our bake-oven).
The "Art of the Great lakes sailor" and "Bead History" talks worked well to cover our sadly missed gunsmith M. Baker, and our camp musicians with numerous instruments filled in superbly for our missing musician, we made do with our local talent which abounded, for this I thank all, summer is ending and temps in the high 30's and low 40's are expected for the next few evenings, it was a grand way to end our summer season here at the monument.
Karl "Poop-tired" Koster
Mark Baker

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

So sorry not to make the event, as I had quite a display of trade guns in various stages, parts, historical goodies, photos etc. For once I was really prepared.

I was all packed and ready when I received word from Mayo that Angie's brother is dying of cancer and they could do nothing for him except try to relieve some pain. Not sure how long he has, but not long. He is 51 years old. Angie has no other siblings, and lost both her folks about 10 years ago to cancer.

I decieded to cancel out, as I was the one to have to tell her when she got back from work.

I sure missed the event and everyone there, but was glad I made the decision to stay home.

Mark
otter
User

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's more. GREAT hands on event! Great thanks to Karl, Scooter & Staff for such a fine period event!
Otter

Ironbear

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great pics of the forge gives me some thoughts on building one like it. Now to convince the little woman to work the bellows
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Message Board All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You must Register or Log In to post new topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to reply to topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to edit your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to delete your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to vote in polls in this forum
Back to HistoricalTrekking.com