This site best viewed at 800x600 or greater resolution. Please support Our Advertisers. They make this site possible!

HistoricalTrekking.com
Small Horizontal Row
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
 CalendarCalendar   LinksLinks 
Period clothes and gear

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Message Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KHickam
User

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 8:28 am    Post subject: Period clothes and gear Reply with quote

What do you consider to be the minimum gear and clothes you should have.

Just curious - sometimes I think I carry way too much stuff and clothes to events -
Susan
User

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too many variable here. Who you are, length of stay, weather variables, and many more too numerous to mention.
When you return from an event, check to see what you used, what came in handy, and what was not used. Usually you will find carrying less stuff is sufficient and then some.

Don Beltrami
User

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess that depends on where you are, what you're doing and how long you're staying. Some people go light on the trail and don't mind pulling up a big ole pile of leaves and moss and sleeping in it. Me, I like comfort a little more and don't mind carrying a heavy load, so I would carry more in the way of bedding and shelter. On the other hand, I carry less in tools. I find a smaller (4in) fixed blade knife to be sufficient for me in stead of a big "fighter" or "bowie" type knife. Sometimes I don't bother with an axe- usually you can get sufficient firewood without it, and most places I go you can't be chopping up trees for shelter anyway, so it's dead weight. It all depends on what you plan to do and what you can improvise if you don't have a particular item. Can you make it on the trail with available materials? Can you use something else to take that items place? Events on the other hand I always overpack- I can always hike stuff back to the car, and when my kids are with me, I'd rather have more than do without.
Try listing all your stuff, then making notes of what you used, didnt use, or only used a little. Dump the stuff you dont use, keep what you use, evaluate what you dont use much. Some stuff can be shared between a few people too, like 1 cook pot for a small group instead of everyone bringing their own. Well, probably more of an answer than you were looking for and not to the point, but sometimes I just like to hear myself type. ;>)
Don Beltrami
brian
User

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to travel light. Less is more as far as I am concerned. Here is a general list of what I would carry to a event or take on a trek. Most camps are 3 Nights or less for me.
1. Clothing - 2 pairs of moccassins, 2 pair of wool socks, 2 pullover linen shirts, 1 wool shirt, 1 pair of knee britches, 1 pair of leggings (sometimes wool, sometimes buckskin) and a hat. If weather is cold I take a Wool Great Coat also. Most of the clothing I wear. The extra stuff I roll inside my blanket which is rolled up in a oilcloth and then carried with a tumpline.
2. Gear - Early's of Witney blanket (s), a 7x7 oil cloth, some hemp rope, at least two knives, a small hatchet or sometimes a slightly larger hudson bay style axe, haversak loaded with like firestarting kit , a small boiler, sewing stuff, dry tinder etc, food (mostly dried stuff) in a canvas bag, a canteen or canvas water bucket depending on whether it's a trek or drive up event.
3. Gun, shooting supplies, sometimes a selfbow and arrows

It will all fit on the passenger side of my compact pickup (probably the same amount as a pack horse in the 1700s would have carried). Sometimes I bring some poles for the shelter to a event if you can't cut them there. Also sometimes I will bring water and good firewood to a Event if that's not availble also.
KHickam
User

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 11:29 am    Post subject: This is what I carried in the past Reply with quote

Clothing - two pairs of knee breeches, wool leggings, 1 pair shoe packs, 1 pair of center seam moccasins, 2 shirts - a caped hunting frock and a sleeved waistcoat (depending on season)

I had a 6X6 oilcloth that I used to sleep in and rolled it up in a tump line with 1 Early wool blanket - sometimes I would have a lighter blanket only or in the deep winter both. I carried two canteens (one a modern WW2 british canteen - the other a kidney canteen. I packed my food and sewing kit, and other stuff in the haversack including a small fishing kit.

Keep in mind all my trekking before had been done in NE and N central WA state.

Now in TX, I think I have to re-think a bunch of stuff.
diggler

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BEDROLL. rolled inside are 1 shirt, 1 pair moccersons, corn boiler, small sack of food.

HAVERSACK/ CANTEEN. contents are fire kit, sewing kit, tin cup, spoon, tea&some dried fruit, whang, tinder, extra patching, soap, razor, toothbrush.

SHOT POUCH. contents are what is needed to service my rifle, 40 rounds ammo, compass, small fire kit, whetstone.

LONGKNIFE & TOMAHAWK &, naturally, my RIFLE.

If i dont make meat, or cant dig anything up foodwise, i can live independent for about 5 days with what i carry.

cheers,
[/b]
Capt Mike

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 2:47 am    Post subject: This is basic Reply with quote

This is basic. And, from all iv read, I can find no other way to do it historic correct for a man on foot.

Get dressed,belt up with ya knife belt riggin's, put on horn (and shot pouch if you carry one), and perhaps a tump and blanket, pick up rifle, walk off in the woods.

Honestly, I think thats it...all ya spose to do.

Or, thats how iv done it for 25 years.

When you apply history,,,try it backwards......start nekid,,and then see,,historic wise,,what THEY added.....you will find they added very little.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Message Board All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You must Register or Log In to post new topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to reply to topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to edit your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to delete your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to vote in polls in this forum
Back to HistoricalTrekking.com