This site best viewed at 800x600 or greater resolution. Please support Our Advertisers. They make this site possible!

HistoricalTrekking.com
Small Horizontal Row
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
 CalendarCalendar   LinksLinks 
Sitting Fox Muzzleloaders
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Message Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joshuway
User

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:44 pm    Post subject: Sitting Fox Muzzleloaders Reply with quote

I normally don't do this because I think it's a bit rude, but when it comes to paying the amount of money it takes for a new gun, I have to get some opinions. For those of you who have dealt with Sitting Fox Muzzleloaders, what have you to say regarding them, their product, and their service?

Matt Wulff
User

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never dealt with them personally, but I have fingered several of the muskets and rifles they offer at a couple of different trade shows. The firelocks I looked at had a decent fit and finish for the price they were offered for. I know this may not be a bunch of help, but I would look again!

Matt
flintlock75
User

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:17 pm    Post subject: Sitting Fox Reply with quote

I have a Jaeger built by sitting fox, it only took two weeks longer than promissed, but it arrived without any problems. The fit was exellent and finish was what i requested. it is a good rifle shoots very well. I would not hesitate to buy another gun from them. Ray always got back to me when i called.
Mario
User

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had an Early English from them that I just sold to finance my new build.

Service- Excellent. I made some changes to the basic design (barrel length, lock, etc) and Ray was very helpful.

Quality- Good for the money. Let's face it, my $900 Sitting Fox gun is not in the league of my $1600+ Mike Brooks, Type G, but that is to be expected.

I used it for 2 years with nary a hitch. My only real gripe is that the barrel was quite a bit heavier than I think it should have been.

Here I'm taking my first live shot with it:

I know of only one person that wasn't really happy with what SF gave him, but I probably could have told him that ahead of time.

What are you looking to get from them?

Mario

http://bycanoeandsnowshoe.blogspot.com/
Find all public pictures posted by %s View user's profile Send private message
Joshuway
User

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mario;
Thanks for your response; I like hearing that he will make some small changes and worked with you regarding them. I'm looking at a Virginia Smooth Rifle kit or maybe a Virginia Fowler with a few changes.

Capt. Jas.
User

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joshuway wrote:
Mario;
Thanks for your response; I like hearing that he will make some small changes and worked with you regarding them. I'm looking at a Virginia Smooth Rifle kit or maybe a Virginia Fowler with a few changes.

Then you should look to the Chambers kits. Much better in quality, work done and historical accuracy. By saving a couple hundred on a kit you will sacrifice some important things.
Joshuway
User

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would it be possible to elaborate, Capt. James?

Capt. Jas.
User

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sent you a PM Joshuay
owl
User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:02 pm    Post subject: Sitting Fox Reply with quote

I bought a completed fowler from Ray a little over a year ago. I ordered it from him while he was still up north. He goes to Fla. for the winters. His primary business is kits I believe. The delivery date was not as promised which is not unusual. What was unusual was the finish of the gun itself. Pin holes for the rod thimbles were punched more than once and in one case the errant hole filled with something that doesn't match the finish. The finish put on the gun left bubbles in the relieved places which I had to rub out. Ray always answered the phone and e'mails. I found him to be plesant I just was not happy with the finish on the gun. Parts were top quality and the gun fires well. Hope this helps.

alex efremenko
User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"kit is a deceptive word.

"parts set" more accurately describes most offerings.

A Lyman Great plains rifle or a pedersoli are more a "kit"
Assembled already,finishing of metal & wood is usually whats required.

"Parts set" you had better be handy,familiar with drilling,tapping, pinning a barrel,drilling& tapping a tang bolt, ect. "pre inlet" does not mean it fits in the hole.A drill press is helpful.Knowing the basic archetechure of what your building helps also,even most "pre shaped" stocks could undergo some slimming.
That being said,some builders offer an " in the white "gun.[see line #4]

I have dealt with Ray one time and it was a pleasant experience,He did as he said and i got what i needed.

If it were me,I'd go look at Cabin Creek,Chambers,Tip Curtis before commiting yourself,buy the best you can affford and you wont be dissapointed.

Good luck!
wayne1967
User

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great service. Do your homework though. If you want a period correct firearm make sure your lock, barrel etc. matches. Serviceability is great though. It's what is important to you.
alex efremenko
User

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wayne1967 wrote:
Great service. Do your homework though. If you want a period correct firearm make sure your lock, barrel etc. matches. Serviceability is great though. It's what is important to you.

......Also turn off all lights ,power tools and make your own tools from scratch................
bob miller
User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex, ..already done that.
trg11
User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The write ups on some of the guns on the website turn me away if they cannot get that right how good are the guns going to be historicaly? I would shop elsewhere just on that basis.
captchee
User

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Through the years I have finished a number of guns for folks that got the assemblies from Ray at sitting fox .
While I would much rather work on one of jims chambers assemblies , you can make a reasonable piece from what Ray sells
I would have to also agree with TG . Some of the write ups are rather odd .
But past that here are some of the issues I have had .

Choice of wood is poor .
By this I mean the wood is normally soft and Knotís are not uncommon
Parts can very greatly in quality . For a while ray was getting some of his locks from over seas. While they did work they needed some work .
Inletting can also very. I have seen pieces where the RR channel was not drilled to proper depth . In one case the RR channel actually was broke through where the entry pipe was supposed to be

While this seems like complaining . Please donít take it that way . What im trying to do is relay what my experiences were . All these things can be over come to some degree .
IMO what ray is trying to do is fill an affordable lower end notch .
IMO he does that well .
Thus one should not expect the quality one gets from say Chambers , brooks or even Pecatonica river . Even then though, if you take our time . Do your research , you can make a relatively nice rifle from what Ray offers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Message Board All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to:  
You must Register or Log In to post new topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to reply to topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to edit your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to delete your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to vote in polls in this forum
Back to HistoricalTrekking.com