This site best viewed at 800x600 or greater resolution. Please support Our Advertisers. They make this site possible!

HistoricalTrekking.com
Small Horizontal Row
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
 CalendarCalendar   LinksLinks 
A Seneca Encounter with La Salle

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Message Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sieur Phillipe Chenier

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 9:50 pm    Post subject: A Seneca Encounter with La Salle Reply with quote

Last weekend several of us traveled to upstate New York and participated in a 17th Century event at Ganondagan.

I portrayed Sieur La Salle along with with Issac, Mike Tharp, Jai Mather portraying ex-soldiers contracted for La Salle's first expedition to the Mississippi.

We were guests of Michael Galban and were treated to an exceptional experience of recreating this real life event of cultures coming together. An amazing time! Others present were Tom Patton, Ken Hamilton, Andy Broughton, David Ledoyen and Mike (last name escapes me but he is from the Rochester area). These folks along with some of Mssr. Galbans most excellent Native reenactors from the site provided a great recreation of this 1669 event. Simply amazing people in living history and such a great time!

We stayed in the bark long house and participated in a traditional dance on Saturday night INSIDE the long house!

We will get many more pictures, however, here are some photo:

Capt. Matheney

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 10:06 pm    Post subject: Great event! Reply with quote

Greetings!

Great photos of a great event! I've been to the site a couple of times over the years, (last trip close to ten years ago now...), and hadn't seen the completed longhouse.

Both times I visited, it was in the summer....very quiet, we were the only visitors when we stopped by. I think the "stillness" of the moment lent itself to the imagination. You could "feel" the past...if ye know what I mean.

Thanks for posting!

Adio!
ditmurier
User

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too spent Thursday-Monday last at a event in Western New York that has set the standard for all other events for me. My self and several other from around the U.S. and Canada where invited to reenact the Seneca Encounter with LaSalle. Can you say mind Blowing! The emersion of staying in a reproduction LongHouse, that was a living being for the Weekend. Thr drumming, gifting, dancing, tatooing and just life experiences that took place inside lodge and on the grounds, leaves me at a lose as to describe it? Wow!! Hopefully , I will be able to come up with something?
Sieur Phillipe Chenier

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

Regarding that item you wanted I have one for you. No payment needed!
ditmurier
User

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oui, Merci! I await its arrival!
Condé
User

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just cool,,,,way way cool,, né plus ultra

___

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

"If you are gonna be dumb you better be tough"

www.condetrading.com
Find all public pictures posted by %s View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Message Board All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You must Register or Log In to post new topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to reply to topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to edit your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to delete your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to vote in polls in this forum
Back to HistoricalTrekking.com