This site best viewed at 800x600 or greater resolution. Please support Our Advertisers. They make this site possible!

HistoricalTrekking.com
Small Horizontal Row
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
 CalendarCalendar   LinksLinks 
Martins Station
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Message Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Capt Mike

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 9:18 am    Post subject: Martins Station Reply with quote

Martins Station was just super! Gets better every year. Good to see ya again Jason...ya'll did good,,very good.
Was great to visit with old friends again,,and meet new ones.
For anyone that has never been...ya owe yaself a Martins Station event,,ya really do !

Capt Mike
Fitzhugh Williams
User

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I missed you. I didn't get there until 10:00 AM on Sunday morning and it seemed everyone was leaving. Don't understand why people want to leave that place!
Kasper Mansker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 1:47 pm    Post subject: Martins Station Reply with quote

I agree...biggest and best yet!!
Find all public pictures posted by %s View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Susan
User

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I missed Martins. Had plans to go, but the ol' mules and wagon needed to come home. Also the day job was a-begging. (Mothers Day weekend at a garden center).
My consolation prize was getting a new vehicle. Price of linen thread and woven straps just went up to help offset the car payments!!

Jason
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 4:56 pm    Post subject: Thanks everyone Reply with quote

I appreciate everyone's comments. I am glad that the event went off without a (major) hitch.

As usualy there were a few things that weren't authentic (cigarettes, coolers in view, etc. etc.) about but everyone I spoke to about those things was very polite and immediately took care of the problem.

One thing I was disheartened about was the people driving in and tearing down before 3:00pm Sunday. Unfortunately by the time I woke up at 7:00am Sunday there were already people with vehicles in camp and at that time it was too late to control the situation. I hope that next year we are better able to let people know that the event ends at 3:00 and if you must leave before then you should pack out your camp.

But those are just the opinions of an employee, so take that as it is worth.
JG

Publisher:
HistoricalTrekking.com
MUZZLELOADER Magazine
Find all public pictures posted by %s View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Connie
User

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Susan wrote:
My consolation prize was getting a new vehicle. Price of linen thread and woven straps just went up to help offset the car payments!!

So, how much is that thread going up to? Fancy wheels?
Susan
User

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason, I agree on this one. It is disheartening when the 1st vehicle comes in, is a domino effect. I know you can't be everywhere at once, and miss the 1st car.
I am always amazed and confused by the mental need to LEAVE early (as Fitz pointed out). The very few who have to leave early for whatever reason can pack out.
A boondoggle to me is Sunday PM at June-Ft de Chartres. The vehicles are lined up in the drive to come in for over an hour, awaiting the gate to open. And in that time, haven't even staged or taken their camps down! Go figure!

Fitzhugh Williams
User

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I hope that next year we are better able to let people know that the event ends at 3:00

It says Sunday 10:00 to 3:00 on the info I got this year. Seems clear enough to me.
flintriflesmith

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 10:04 am    Post subject: Another scheduling issue Reply with quote

I missed it this year but someone who attended told me there was a problem with the schedule of some presentations being too close together. By the time one talk ended the other had already started. They thought there should be a bit more time allowed.
Capt Mike

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 10:07 am    Post subject: Talks Reply with quote

The talks went fine.

I talked for three days solid without a problem ::))

Tell ya buddys to drop by my camp next time and ill regale them with stories till the moon grows pale with dawns comming light !!

Cheers for Martins Station !

Capt Mike
DELETED

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DELETED
yellranger

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martin's Station is FIRST CLASS!! Great work by the staff and volunteers. It has become "the" event and all should attend who have the chance. I met many fine folks and look forward to seeing them again down the trail. Tom Roberts
Tim Camarda

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a good time at Martin's this year as well. The weather was great and the site is gorgeous as always. As Jason mentioned, I too noticed A LOT of people with vehicles on site and packing up well before noon on Sunday. I know folks have a long drive, but my 8 hour trip isn't exactly short either. I'm by no means blaming anyone for anything, just something I noticed. It seemed like the "Sunday" portion of the event was neglected in general.

The only other thing I wondered about is how to get more folks, visitors and re-enators, into the fort itself. We were in there for a good portion of the day on Saturday, and at many times it was like a ghost town in there. Maybe it was just that particular weekend or something, but others I talked with noticed the same thing.

I talked about this with several folks throughout the weekend and it seems the talks/seminars pull everything away from the fort, which I thought was to be the main focal point. I don't have anything against having seminars/speakers but maybe a re-organization of the schedule and times could alleviate this problem in the future. The speakers are primarily for the participants anyway, so what if the talks were held in the evening, that way the primary focus during the day (public hours) could be interpreting fort/station life for ourselves as well as the public. Just my personal thoughts. I plan to come again next year, and hopefully with an even larger ACM contingent to man the fort...if they'll have us that is :)
Kasper Mansker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 11:47 am    Post subject: Tom Roberts... Reply with quote

...Twas good to finally meet you and look forward to hitting the trail with you soon.
Find all public pictures posted by %s View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
yellranger

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I look forward to sharing a scout and camp with you also. The Cumberland Brigade sure can sing pretty. Thanks for the Saturday night entertainment. Tom Roberts
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Message Board All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You must Register or Log In to post new topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to reply to topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to edit your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to delete your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to vote in polls in this forum
Back to HistoricalTrekking.com