This site best viewed at 800x600 or greater resolution. Please support Our Advertisers. They make this site possible!

HistoricalTrekking.com
Small Horizontal Row
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
 CalendarCalendar   LinksLinks 
1750's Period compass
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Message Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pathfinder

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:02 pm    Post subject: 1750's Period compass Reply with quote

Please advise where I might find period compass. I remeber somone had one here some time back!

Pathfinder

p.s. would a small survey compass work for the period?
Stinky Mike
User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pathfinder, if you know the style you want, try looking here for it....

http://www.brasscompass.com/

or here

Although this one might be a little out of the average reenactors price range, but damn are they kewl!

http://www.colonialinstruments.com/instruments.html#

Stinky Mike
User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pathfinder,
One other thing to look at on the Colonial Instruments page is the Publication section. pretty interesting articles regarding some of the instruments.

Man, I wish I could afford some of these....... :(

Pathfinder

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,
Thanks for both sources! I had actually gone to Stanely London Brass first before I posted here but wasn't sure if they had any that would be "P.C." However your second suggestion helped as I saw originals there that might help me find one at Stanley or some other place. Thanks!

Doug

]
Pathfinder

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Guys will this one do?

I found it at Barnes and Noble of all places!

http://historicaltrekking.com/forums/album_pic.php?pic_id=62[img]

Pathfinder[/img]
Jason
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 4:29 pm    Post subject: Compass Reply with quote

That is a gorgrous compass and woul dbe fine for the 18th century, however the description says it is 6" in diameter. So it's not pocket sized.
JG

Publisher:
HistoricalTrekking.com
MUZZLELOADER Magazine
Find all public pictures posted by %s View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Pathfinder

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep! Jason, I missed that little detail..............I may go with Stanely!

Pathfinder
Jason
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:37 pm    Post subject: Too Bad Reply with quote

That's too bad! I was really impressed when I saw it, it's a fantastic 18th century compass!
JG

Publisher:
HistoricalTrekking.com
MUZZLELOADER Magazine
Find all public pictures posted by %s View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tom Black
User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill Farmer at Boonesborough makes a fine little compass. He does great work, price is very reasonable and Bill is a pleasure to deal with.
Tom Black
Cantucky
Pathfinder

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom,
I'd like the information. I have already ordered a cheap one for now but will go better later when I find the one I want,

Thanks to all of you!

Pathfinder
Jason
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:59 pm    Post subject: Bills Reply with quote

Bills compass is nice, it has a good frontier look, but it is not a good period compass.

I say that because it lacks minute marking. The brass "Roger's Ranger" compass is not a good useful compass for the same reason.

Without proper markings, you can't really use it in the proper fashion to tell direction etc.

I mean you can use it for general direction but that is about it.
JG

Publisher:
HistoricalTrekking.com
MUZZLELOADER Magazine
L.R.NELSON

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentalmen being in the Land Survey field, I am wondering why you are not focusing on a Jacob staff compass? or like the ones on The English site. And second what is your persona? Are you a hunter, commmon man, farmer, etc. Or a military or ex-military officer? A compass, specificly a surveyors compass was not a common item for all to be had. To be recreating a 18 century surveyor one needs to be educated and schooled starting at an early age and then working as an apprentice. Not all hunters are surveyors. Anyhow, just wondering why everyone has a compass and not using the sun, stars and other mean to navigate the lands to find ones way in the world .

Lee
Pathfinder

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lee,

Simple answer is "upper middle class commissioned provincial officer". I believe common knowledge of sun and star navigation was less common than one would suppose especially among land lubbers.

Finally, and the reason I started this thread when I did............the A.R.L.A. requires one for qualification into their organization.

Pathfinder
Stinky Mike
User

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I read somewhere that the NDNs would kill you if they found you with any type of surveying equipment....

L.R.NELSON

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good deal Pathfinder, as an officer you would have been sshooled in mathematics and related subjects. Are you by chance in field artillary? if so you knowledge in compass, levels, geometery would greatly help out your persona. Still have to say you would be in the possesion of a Jacob Staff type compass even if not arty, not a small pocket type , but one you could use to sight a line on and traverse with.

Yes I have read that the locals would do you great harm if surveying equipment was found on a person. I think in George Washington's journals and survey notes before the Rev war. I can not think of the name of the book off hand but will look later, I know Thomas Jeferson also qouts in same book.

By the way what is the A.R.L.A??
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Message Board All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You must Register or Log In to post new topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to reply to topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to edit your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to delete your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to vote in polls in this forum
Back to HistoricalTrekking.com