This site best viewed at 800x600 or greater resolution. Please support Our Advertisers. They make this site possible!

HistoricalTrekking.com
Small Horizontal Row
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
 CalendarCalendar   LinksLinks 
Spring Squirrel

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Message Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Morgan
User

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 8:54 am    Post subject: Spring Squirrel Reply with quote

I will be heading into the woods Saturday morning in search of spring squirrel. This will be my first outing in mocs that I have made myself.

Just in case I didn't get it right the first time....I will have my sewing kit and additional leather for any necessary repairs. Knowing the way my luck runs, I'll probably walk in with mocs and out barefooted!

Any of you got "first moccasin" stories to share?

diggler

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morgan,

First, HAVE FUN on saturday! i will be at rendezvous, here in the sierras of california. so, we will both be doing those things we love.

My first pair of moccersons i didnt want to stop and fix and take away from my fun, so made them from buffalo hide. That was two years ago and i still use them, tho now i have another pair. The one time i made them from deer, they fell apart in no time flat (some of my wanderings take me across boulder fields of course granite). if your walking soft ground you should be fine tho. but if you do come out barefoot, then you'll have both a story, and a lesson.!
Also, i know guys that glue on extra soles with 'barge' cement. i know, it aint period but it makes your mocs like shoepacs, and you never have to fuss over them (ive tried it)

good luck&cheers,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Message Board All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You must Register or Log In to post new topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to reply to topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to edit your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to delete your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to vote in polls in this forum
Back to HistoricalTrekking.com