This site best viewed at 800x600 or greater resolution. Please support Our Advertisers. They make this site possible!

HistoricalTrekking.com
Small Horizontal Row
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
 CalendarCalendar   LinksLinks 
Journals of men of leisure
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Message Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
George H. Russell

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:59 am    Post subject: Journals of men of leisure Reply with quote

I have come to realize that age has caught up to me. In plain terms, I am too out of shape, overweight, etc to correctly portray a woodsman, ranger, long hunter, etc. That being said, I have made some adjustments to my "historical re-enacting." (I bought a cannon.)

Are there any printed journals of "men of leisure" or gentry available? I seem to recall that there was an Englishman that travelled in the colonies before the American Revolution and wrote about it.
Bill Evelyn

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:44 pm    Post subject: Not quite "gentry..." Reply with quote

George,

I would not describe them as "gentry" but perhaps "men of leisure" or "men seeking adventure," or even "men who hope to have a good time and sell a book while doing it" might be a better description, but look at Joseph Dodderidge, Nicholas Cresswell, JFD Smyth and Henry Timberlake.

For extremely wealthy folks, I can't think of a one who traveled the backcountry and wrote about it.

Perhaps Maximillian in the next century...

To accomodate your current physical condition, minus the cannon, you might consider portraying a trader, tavern keeper, printer, miller,ferry operator, general drunken n'er do well, physician, tax collector or even a judge. With a loaded cannon, however, you can be whomever you wish and not get an argument from me...
George H. Russell

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill,

I am doing tavern keeper at Ft. King George. And thanks for the help with some books.
Pathfinder

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

George,

I too wanted to run through the woods chasing an elk with my bare chiseled chest exposed, jumping over logs, down ravines, over huge boulders..................and then I woke up. Also when I started looking at living history events I started to notice a whole bunch of the same types, whether younger or older, already had the look and that I would look just plain silly trying to mimic what the likes of Michael Archer, Yaquina, Yellranger and others had perfected. So I decided that at my age, fat, and somewhat crippled up, I too should look to the more privileged and prospered gentleman. Never having been “privileged”, “prosperous” or a gentleman, I took on the daunting challenge, studied and refined my persona, lost 35 pounds and saving every extra nickel and dime without taking from the family, I am slowly making myself into a proper 18th century gentleman…………..okay I got some distance to go, but I’m still trying to find a role that suites my current physical condition, age and ever driven desire to be a bit different. I admire your self examination and honesty!

We live above the county docks here on Lake Coeur d’Alene and often this time of the year certain females get off the boats wearing two piece bathing suits………………..WHO REALLY SHOULDN’T WEAR TWO PIECE BATHING SUITS……………….and certain guys who shouldn’t either!

Pathfinder
Capt Mike

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:17 pm    Post subject: Mortal Reply with quote

10 years ago, not a soul on a scout could walk step to step with me. I walked and worked out constant in everday life. Was harder than rocks. Wood wise from 40 years of sever dedication to learning all about the forest one man could.

But, alas, im mortal. Didnt think so till I looked in the mirror a year or two ago and this older gent looked back out.

Now, I walk with the others, pile up leaves to sleep on and wish id not lived so hard in my previous life...(my youth)

Capt Mike *who aint the man of steel after all
David A. Schmid
User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:13 am    Post subject: make a change! Reply with quote

Why except that fact of age, being out of shape or what ever excuse you can muster to not to change, grow and improve your abilities to be fit. I was in poor health and a very poor fitness level. I changed. I went and seeked the help of a fitness trainer and with their support I worked out..trained hard to fight easy. It is never too late..

Excepting that you are over weight, and not up to the challenges that trekking offers you? If that is your mindset so be it..but you can make a change you can be that woods runner once again it is Never too late.
Except defeat? Nay...not me...
Find all public pictures posted by %s View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
George H. Russell

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David,

I will still be getting out in the woods, but it will be as a tavern keeper shooting game for his stew pot. I am not totally ruling out trekking, just the persona of a woodsman. I am sure some of them did "retire" and take up other trades.

Last night I was talking with a re-enacting buddy of mine (who is in very good shape) and he was coming to the same conclusion that I was. He is looking at becoming a surveyor. His reason? Way too many people are doing long hunter and he wants to be different.
Stinky Mike
User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

George, I'm actually partial to the
Quote:
general drunken n'er do well
;-)

I think I have that one down pat.........

George H. Russell

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mik,e,

We both seem to have that persona down pat. Especially with some 23 year old rum.

George
Gabriel

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you guys know the OLD Schmid? Totally unrelated to my bony frame, that dude is a living walking, breathing example of what motivation and research can do for the fatty out there with a nylon psuedo French flag flapping above a really bad tent. The guy snoring inside could take a lesson from David, if he's willing to listen and accept change.

Read, eat well, and email Schmid for advice. You don't have to give up reenacting because you're getting older or fatter. I haven't... 'Course, all I do is get better looking...

Eat well, live well, and don't talk yourselves into being "OLD"!
KHickam
User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:45 am    Post subject: Well, I am older Reply with quote

But, I have an active lifestyle (I chase around bird dogs for a living) and I have began to eat better and have lost some weight - run 2-4 miles a day four times a week.

But, my legs hurt more, and my back is stiffer when I roll out of the bedroll - not to mention I will have to get used to - certain bugs I never had to look out for in WA (fire ants are a blast).

Love shooting, and I like re-enacting - not sure I have the time to do a lot of trekking - (dogs are a 365 day a year commitment) but will be able to have overnight camps and hunt once in a while.
Pathfinder

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Khickam,

Are you familiar with Bracco Italiano's?

Pathfinder
KHickam
User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only in passing. I work SMs, WPGs, one or two viszlas, and the rest are pointers and setters.
ThomasR.
User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KHickman,

Welcome to Texas, fun little buggers aren't they. How long have you been here?

Take care,

ThomasR. (native of TX)
KHickam
User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:14 pm    Post subject: Not long Reply with quote

Since last October - still learning about things like chiggers, fire ants - snakes (although, we have them in WA) they are the kind that will sometimes give you a warning - water mocs and copperheads - don't
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Message Board All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You must Register or Log In to post new topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to reply to topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to edit your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to delete your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to vote in polls in this forum
Back to HistoricalTrekking.com