This site best viewed at 800x600 or greater resolution. Please support Our Advertisers. They make this site possible!

HistoricalTrekking.com
Small Horizontal Row
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
 CalendarCalendar   LinksLinks 
Land of the Seneca Turkey Hunt

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Message Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brian
User

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 7:40 pm    Post subject: Land of the Seneca Turkey Hunt Reply with quote

Land of the Seneca Turkey Hunt:
Friday May 11 2007
This morning I tried once again for my quest of taking an Eastern Wild Turkee using nothing but mid 1700s gear. It was another beautiful spring morning and daylight would soon be replacing nighttime. On my way in, I bumped out a pair of wood ducks near a small pond. The Songbirds were already very vocal when I reached the top of the hill I planned to hunt. No Turkeys were heard at sunrise so I set up in an area that had produced birds in the past for me. I carried Joe’s Smoothbore Flintlock. Joe was a friend who passed this past year. My clothing consisted of two walnut dyed hunting shirts, a pair of buckskin leggings, a brown flop hat, a black neckerchief that was used as a facemask and a pair of centerseam moccasins. A belt knife, powder horn and shooting bag rounded off my gear. The call I was using was a Wing bone call that I had made. The first hour or so passed with no action other than a passing Raccoon. I was daydreaming a bit enjoying the Sunshine when a hen started cutting very close to where I was setup. She was obviously not pleased with another hen (Me) in the vicinity. I called back and forth with her for some time hoping all the commotion would attract a Gobbler. She finally moved on. Still no Gobbles were heard so I moved down the ridge a bit. I watched a lone deer come up the hill a bit from me. Still no Gobbles were heard. Around mid morning I let out a call and was answered by a Gobble very close. I called back and was answered by at least two separate birds that were real close. The ground seemed like it shook every time one of them gobbled. What a time I was having calling back and forth. Every Call of mine was answered! Single Gobbles, Double Gobbles! These birds were hot. The birds were right on top of me but with the leaves beginning to open up I could not see any of them but could I ever hear them! A few minutes later I saw one of the Gobblers moving in. His head was very bright and stood out like a sore thumb and he was now a mere 15 yards or so away. When he stuck his neck out, I raised the barrel, aimed and shot. I expected to see the bird go down but instead he flew off. How could I have missed at that yardage? Upon further examination I found that I had hit a leaning branch at 5 yards. With my concentration focused on the bird I never saw that branch or maybe some ancient Seneca was having a little fun with a White Hunter. I would wager it has been quite a while since a Flintlock Hunter in 1700s attire was seen in the Land of the Seneca hunting Spring Time Turkees. What a great morning it was even though I missed my target! I think Joe might have been looking down with a little smile.
Buffler Razz
User

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian
Thanks for sharing your hunt with us. While its too bad that you didn't connect, always rememebr that its the journey and not the destination that you will remember most! See you when I get back from Algonquin.
brian
User

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Razz,

I will give it another try this weekend. Best of Luck on your Algoquin adventure. Looking forward to the Steamberg trek.

Brian
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Message Board All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You must Register or Log In to post new topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to reply to topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to edit your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to delete your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to vote in polls in this forum
Back to HistoricalTrekking.com