This site best viewed at 800x600 or greater resolution. Please support Our Advertisers. They make this site possible!

HistoricalTrekking.com
Small Horizontal Row
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
 CalendarCalendar   LinksLinks 
A fine day of Angling, Colonial style... (with pics)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Message Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yaquina143

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 11:03 pm    Post subject: A fine day of Angling, Colonial style... (with pics) Reply with quote

What a glorious day of fine angling!

A friend of mine and I picked a small pond in a local wildlife management area and decided to try a little angling, and what a day it was! We walked the trail to the pond's edge and prepared our gear. Bluegill were the target and some unfortunate crickets were on the hook.

As it turns out, these bluegill LOVE crickets and between the time the cricket hit the water and the moment a fish was on the line was literally just a matter of a few seconds. In less than 25 minutes we had landed over a dozen fish with no end in site.

After an hour or so my bait horn was out of crickets so we tried a few hand tied flies. These had little or no effect and the bluegill turned their nose up to just about anything else we tried.

The angling rod I am using is a gentlemen's rod (fancy) and measures about 14' feet. It was perfect for dropping my line directly where I wanted it. Patrick (the gentleman with me) used another angling rod of my manufacture, slightly shorter, about 10' feet.

We saw many straights (modern folks) and answered many questions from interested people. Some of the questions were the classic "hey, what are you guys doing" type; but by far the most memorable question of the day was from a lady who stopped us on the trail and asked if the fish we were carrying on the stringer were real.

We had a great time and plan to go back in the next few days for some more great bluegill. Here are some photos from the day.

Mike/MO
User

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can do a lot of serious fishing with a cane pole. Thanks for sharing your pictures. That is an interesting looking bait horn.
Walton45
User

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Walton45 on Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
coloneltubbs
User

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 12:35 pm    Post subject: A Fine Day of Angling Reply with quote

What memories that brings back of my boyhood days in Louisiana. I ate so much pearch growing up I thought I was going to grow gills.

I really like the picture of your cricket horn. Were the crickets grey or black? I never had luck using the black ones. I have used kernels of soft corn and had great success.
Great pictures of your adventure. Hope to see more in the future.

Colonel Tubbs
Eric S. Campbell
User

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dana if you dont mind what is the material around your waist?
Yaquina143

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: A Fine Day of Angling Reply with quote

coloneltubbs wrote:
Were the crickets grey or black? I never had luck using the black ones.

The crickets used were brown crickets. They can be purchased at any pet store in the country and run about a dime or so each.
Yaquina143

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swatana wrote:
Dana if you dont mind what is the material around your waist?

I have a brown hand woven sash around my waist, with a small ration bag of jerky tied over that.
Pathfinder

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 12:52 pm    Post subject: Yaquina Reply with quote

I agree that you're adding a lot to period fishing and I look forward to more photos and adventures coming from you! I'm starting to get a bit fired up for fishing after burning out on it some years back.

Thanks!

Pathfinder
Ironbear

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice pictures Dana that's the kind of fishing I love the most.I use the brown crickets I get them for 3.00 a hundred here.I use to sell them for 1/2 cent each years ago.
Yaquina143

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are going back out Thursday and will be trying a different, larger pond. I am hoping to score as well then as we did yesterday.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Message Board All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You must Register or Log In to post new topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to reply to topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to edit your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to delete your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to vote in polls in this forum
Back to HistoricalTrekking.com