This site best viewed at 800x600 or greater resolution. Please support Our Advertisers. They make this site possible!

HistoricalTrekking.com
Small Horizontal Row
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
 CalendarCalendar   LinksLinks 
New Fly Rod
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Message Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jason
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 9:58 am    Post subject: New Fly Rod Reply with quote

Hey Folks,
I just got my Rod in from Yaquina and it is absolutely gorgeous! Fits together precisely, is well finished and looks to be of great quality. Now I am waiting on some Horsehair lines & some flies from Paul W. Jones, then I'll be ready to fish!
JG

Publisher:
HistoricalTrekking.com
MUZZLELOADER Magazine
Find all public pictures posted by %s View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Morgan
User

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm.....new rod, horse hair line......263 registered users on this board......just wondering how long it will take you to catch enough for the fish fry that I know you would want to invite all of us to!

Morgan

Jason
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 10:18 am    Post subject: Well... Reply with quote

Probably a while with my (in)ability to fish.

But being a good Southern Boy, when we talk about frying fish, they ain't the kind of fish you catch with a fly rod, we fry Catfish down here!

*grin*
JG

Publisher:
HistoricalTrekking.com
MUZZLELOADER Magazine
Find all public pictures posted by %s View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Morgan
User

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah....but being a little more southern than you, as a kid we used to catch bream and crappie on fly rods to....maybe not the fancy fly fishing for trout....but the fish didn't seem to mind....

Morgan

Jason
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 10:30 am    Post subject: Southern Reply with quote

Morgon,
I think you'd better look at a map, Benton, Arkansas is well North of Twiggs County, Georgia! (Southeast of Macon)

We mostly caught bream or catfish. As a kid we used Zebco 33's and not until I became a teen did my uncle move me up to a spinning reel, and only a couple of times did he let me try a baitcast (that always ended badly).

It wasn't until 2003 that I caught my first trout (and only to date). Gerlad Davis, Ty Davis & myself were fishing with saplings for rods, corn for bait in Panther Creek in North Georgia.

Let me tell you, after eating summer sausage and cheese for 3 days in the woods, a trout cooked on the coals with a little salt was delicious.
JG

Publisher:
HistoricalTrekking.com
MUZZLELOADER Magazine
Okwaho
User

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 5:06 pm    Post subject: fly rods Reply with quote

Just testing
Condé
User

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 5:12 pm    Post subject: Fish Reply with quote

Trotlines mes amis, trotlines. Do you want to eat fish or play with them?

___

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

"If you are gonna be dumb you better be tough"

www.condetrading.com
Find all public pictures posted by %s View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Lloyd Moler
User

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom,
I hate the taste of most fish, but love to play with them....

Lloyd Moler
Capt Mike

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 6:50 pm    Post subject: Jason Reply with quote

Jason,,your a true son of Mother Southland if you love dem catfish ! Dont come no better,,,,though,,all sunfish are good eating too,,,but if ya got a big appeitie,,,

GO CATFISHIN"" !!

Capt Mike
Gabriel

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were a magical few moments when 15# plus channel cats would sip mayfly emergers on a few selects waters when I was stationed in Oklahoma. Unfortunately all I did was tie flies for the shop owner who told me this. He said they'd run you into the backing on a sturdy 9'9wt with a disc drag. Said it used to just hack the stinkbait guys off to watch a guy with a fly rod get busy.

Personally, I used to stalk White Wolf Crossing on Ft. Sill with a 16 or 18 pheasant tail on a 5 wt with a 6x tippet for the elusive Oklahoma Salmon. Sight fishing for 10-12# carp was good enough at the time, and more challenging than you'd think.

I am back in trout country, but when I want fish for my plate, I panfish. The trout are more fun in the river than in the skillet.

I do love catfish, but am compelled by location to buy it at the store at a premium price. Damn yankees haven't seen a fish fry! Good fishing to all!
Mike Ameling

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fish fry for those upper midwest Yankees?

Batter dipped/fried Perch - with coleslaw and fries.

That's what you get down to the Legion Hall and the neighborhood bar - most any Friday night at the bar/restaurant but especially on Fridays during Lent. And in the spring, Smelt fries.

But out here where I grew up, we had lots of bullhead fries, pickled sucker, smallmouth bass, and all those pan fish. The farm ponds/potholes were full of bullheads and panfish.

Seafood was tuna salad sandwiches or tuna casserole. Or those imfamous Salmon Patties! (canned salmon mixed with crackers and an egg, then fried like a hamburger)

And the big cats over to the Mighty Miss could easily run 30 pounds or more, but we preferred the 10 to 15 pounders from the local rivers - the Upper Iowa, Turkey, Wapsipinicon, and Yellow rivers.

Trout was for those stuck-up city slobs/snobs wandering around through everybody else's property dropping trash and cutting fences while trying to recreate that hollyweird movie with that Brad guy in it. (I have a state-stocked trout stream a hundred yards from my house, and I see some good people, but way too many who shouldn't be allowed to go outside of the city limits, or onto any gravel road - ever!)

Hush, you puppies, y'all all will get yers as soon as we done eat!

Mikey - that grumpy ol' German blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

(hmmm ... should that have been "all y'all" instead of "y'all all"?)
Gabriel

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

Smoked bullheads over fried. Easier pickins. Locals take the hindmost, I'll take catfish over walleye.

Sure, I am a flyfisherman, and would rather be on a trout stream during a good sulphur hatch than most places, but I loath the yuppies on my river, too. I fish over wild trout, and am willing to flatten the tires on a hatchery truck if I ever see them watering down my rivers.

I remember as a teen being terribly impressed by a fellow I bumped into. He looked like he had stepped off the pages of the Orvis catalog, only with a bit more gear. This guy just had to be good. His hardwood landing net must have cost more than my entire rig!

I obliged him to go ahead, and I fished behind him about 50 yards, and the schmuck couldn't cast ten feet successfully. Here's me with a cheap rod, leaky waders, and a level line and leader, pulling decent browns out of water he'd just splashed through. Gads I hate yuppies on my river.

Now I have saved and scrimped to get nice gear, and have more $ invested in my rig than the truck that gets me to the river! Hopefully I won't get mistaken for that sort of fellow. Hell, my rusty Ford with deer hair and firewood in the back should dispel any of that.

Mr Jones in TX has me really interested in incorporating fishing with an angle into my reeenacting. The guy has been doing this a LONG time, and has some really good fishing research under his belt. His website has been up here a few times, but if I may:

www.historicanglingenterprises.com/

Tight lines to all!
Yaquina143

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gabriel wrote:
Mr Jones in TX has me really interested in incorporating fishing with an angle into my reeenacting.

Then you should consider purchasing a finely made, period correct angling rod to with the gear you get from Mr. Jones. But where to get one? Hmmmm..... I know! Get one from me! LOL!
nopaosak

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I obliged him to go ahead, and I fished behind him about 50 yards, and the schmuck couldn't cast ten feet successfully. Here's me with a cheap rod, leaky waders, and a level line and leader, pulling decent browns out of water he'd just splashed through. Gads I hate yuppies on my river.

As a native Vermonter, I know what you mean. All the Jersey and Albany guys come up and stand arms length from each other and end up making clotheslines out of the Sycamore trees. But, it's those yuppies who are paying for trees to be replanted along major streams and convincing farmers to sow their crops farther away from the edge to keep the water clear.

Your only defense against them is that in order to keep their lines clear of trees and their gear pristine, they will never be fishing in the most advantageous or fish laden dead falls and hidey holes. That means even after a busy summer weekend on the Battenkill, I can always find myself a trout sammich.
Mike Ameling

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every fall the end of October, I host a little trek (late 1700's) back into some of the State land along this trout stream. We camp along the banks in the trees and bluffs, and spend a few days chasing trout, squirrels, and (in season) deer or turkey. But we also have a number of those ... fishermen ... coming through. Some look at us weird and steer clear of the "crazy" people, some stop and chat.

One year, one of the guys was down fishing with his willow Angle when an Orvis Weekend Warrior came by. He asked my buddy if he was having any luck - while looking down his nose at this "hick" using a willow pole. Dave told him he only had two, and pointed to his improvised stringer tied over by the bank. It had a stocking-sized rainbow, and a 6 pound Brown on it. The guy headed down stream quickly muttering quietly to himself. About a half hour later, he and his buddy walked back upstream out along the edge of the trees/brush we were camped in. We could clearly hear him loudly complaining to his fishing buddy. "A g** d*** willow pole! I got all this gear and he caught it on a g** d*** willow pole!" That is one of those people who will never understand that it is the Person, not the gear, that catches the fish.

I hate those Orvis Weekend Warriors, but they can be entertaining sometimes.

Mikey - yee ol' grumpy German blacksmith out in the Hinterlands
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Message Board All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You must Register or Log In to post new topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to reply to topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to edit your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to delete your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to vote in polls in this forum
Back to HistoricalTrekking.com