This site best viewed at 800x600 or greater resolution. Please support Our Advertisers. They make this site possible!

HistoricalTrekking.com
Small Horizontal Row
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
 CalendarCalendar   LinksLinks 
Gene's Black Powder Seasoning Gun Lube

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Message Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AxelP
User

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:34 am    Post subject: Gene's Black Powder Seasoning Gun Lube Reply with quote

http://www.southparktraders.com

Anyone here use Gene's Black Powder Seasoning Gun Lube? The maker makes some very specific claims as to its performance. Its advertised in Muzzleloader and Muzzleblast.

Anyone here use it?

K

Steve G
User

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I e-mailed them asking for specific information about their product about three months ago, still haven't gotten a reply. Makes me kind of wonder what kind of outfit they are. Anyone can make claims and buy ad space. Other's results may vary.
Find all public pictures posted by %s View user's profile Send private message
AxelP
User

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have spoken via email to the maker and he sent me a sample... I have tried it as patch lube and it works fine--good actually.

I am in the process of testing it as a bore preservative, but it will have to perform better than my usual home made lube, or I'd have no reason to buy it.

Bore seasoning like an iron skillet makes no sense to me at all since our barrels are steel and not cast iron, leaving residue and building lube on top of it is a good way to severely pit your bore under the "seasoning." But if you clean your gun thoroughly after shooting and use a decent natural lube to protect it and avoid petroleum solvents and lubes, your gun will be easier to clean--and get better the more you polish the bore by shooting it. I suspect Gene's lube is fine for that purpose--I will report back after I have given it a fair test.

K

AxelP
User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found Gene's lube to be a good patch lube for shooting, but in my experience, it did not have the rust protection I require, so i had to conclude the tests without being able to prove the maker's three patch cleaning claim.

Other people might have different results of course.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Message Board All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You must Register or Log In to post new topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to reply to topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to edit your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to delete your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to vote in polls in this forum
Back to HistoricalTrekking.com