This site best viewed at 800x600 or greater resolution. Please support Our Advertisers. They make this site possible!

HistoricalTrekking.com
Small Horizontal Row
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
 CalendarCalendar   LinksLinks 
looking for good sewing kit ideas

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Skills and Crafts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blacksmith
User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:15 pm    Post subject: looking for good sewing kit ideas Reply with quote

can any of you wonderful people give me any sewing kit ideas

Please!!!!!

Snapper
User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:07 am    Post subject: sewing kit Reply with quote

You can purchase pre-made kits from places like JAS Townsend or you can put one together on your own. My small kit has linen thread, some artificial sinew, thread & leather needles, a small awl, leather thongs, a chunk of beeswax and a bit of material I can use for patches. It's not fancy but it has gotten the job done whenever I've needed it. You might also want to include a small pair of scissors as they make cutting material a lot easier.

That's all for now. Take care, best of luck in putting your kit together and until next time...be well.

snapper
tiswell
User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my personal sewing kit currently resides in a burnt altoids tin. In it I carry 3 small wooden "bobbins" that I wrapped with small diameter natural linen for shirt and breeches repair, heavy waxed linen for moc and shoepack repair, and one wrapped with strands of sinew also for moc or legging repair. I have a small needle case made from river cane, a chunk of beeswax about the size of a flattened grape and a small piece of leather to use as a hand pad to push the needles through leather. I wrap it with a braintan thong to keep it from popping open. The thong also helps identify it from the other similar tins that I use. Thinking about it now I should add some linen fabric to patch holes!

I have also seen some intricate ones turned from antler and/or horn with a screw top. The top was turned to form a long hollow stem that screwed into a turned antler or horn case. 3 small bobbins slid on the stem and the hollow portion of the stem was capped with a small screw tip that held needles. It was quite nice, everyone ooggled over it, but it seemed like important parts would be easily lost.

If you google images of "longhunter sewing kits" or "longhunters housewife" you should get some additional ideas. Good luck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Skills and Crafts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You must Register or Log In to post new topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to reply to topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to edit your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to delete your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to vote in polls in this forum
Back to HistoricalTrekking.com