This site best viewed at 800x600 or greater resolution. Please support Our Advertisers. They make this site possible!

HistoricalTrekking.com
Small Horizontal Row
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
 CalendarCalendar   LinksLinks 
Moccasin Maker Needed
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Message Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimmichanga
User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:00 am    Post subject: Moccasin Maker Needed Reply with quote

It is unfortunate that Arrow Moccasin seems to have shuttered its doors. Phone disconnected and no answers to internet inquiries. What a shame that these wonderful makers of fine moccasins are gone. Does anyone know of a high quality moccasin maker for trekking mocs? Thanks, Jimmichanga

tiswell
User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you looked at Carl Dyer's?
jimmichanga
User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I have and have an email into him. I was thinking his center seam might work. Thanks
I was hoping to find someone just starting out that was gaining a good reputation though.

tiswell
User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

every Dyer that I have seen is top shelf. I know there are several smaller makers of good mocs but their names escape me.
tiswell
User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI, If you can live without the extremely thick sole, making your own is a lot cheaper. With a small investment in leather, needles, thread, an awl, you can keep yourself in mocs. Free patterns can be found on the net. Everyone gets into these hobbies for different reasons. If you are into it to learn and build skills, making and wearing your own is one more rung on the skill ladder.
jimmichanga
User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate the do it yourself idea for sure. I make almost everything myself. buckskin pants, leather water bottles, sheaths etc. The reason i was considering having them made is because I need a thick leather double sole and my feet aren't as good as they use to be. i am talking trans Sierra trekking off trail and some really rugged terrain. I just think they might hold up better and be more comfortable. Having someone make a really sturdy moc seems to make sense to me. Thanks.

tiswell
User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are making the right choice then. The thick soled mocs are much easier on your feet. I guess you could double sole braintanned deer or elk hide mocs yourself, but for me wrestling with that real thick leather is much more of a chore.
jimmichanga
User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, that thick of leather is just to tough for me . I'd rather let a pro do it. If you know of anyone who is making this sort of moc besides Carl Dyer please let me know its worth it to me to spend the $300 or so for "happy feet".

jimmichanga
User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This Forum seems pretty dead these days. Some say due to the facebook links but there is so much great info in the archives on this forum. Hope it will keep going.

tiswell
User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea,
I sat back for a long time. I guess there are others that are doing the same thing. Hopefully they will read this and jump in. This forum is a great resource, I hope it sticks around. A lot of good knowledge and experience here.
coloneltubbs
User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:11 pm    Post subject: MOCCASINS Reply with quote

James,
Have you tried a simple search engine to locate what you are looking for? I typed in typed in "Center Seam Moccasins" and got several hits. Maybe you could try this and then contact the maker to see if they could be of help.

jimmichanga
User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will do Colonel. Thanks.

Smoky
User

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:25 pm    Post subject: mocs Reply with quote

I bought a piece of commercial tanned at Martins Station , I am going to use it for my first attempt at moccasins. Finding patterns is not too hard.
bob miller
User

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried their number and got their answering machine. Small business, so maybe they have a family or personal issue that needs tending.
I don't figure small one or two man shops can always be available, so maybe wait a while and try again . I have a pair I want resoled, so will keep trying.
If you're in a hurry, one source is Tecumseh's Trading Post. They make different styles of moccs with heavy leather soles. Actually, centre seams made from that heavy leather aren't really "correct" anyway, so pick a style that suits you. If you want to try making your own and want a heavy leather sole, give some thought to shoe packs.
jimmichanga
User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Moccasin Maker Needed Reply with quote

jimmichanga wrote:
It is unfortunate that Arrow Moccasin seems to have shuttered its doors. Phone disconnected and no answers to internet inquiries. What a shame that these wonderful makers of fine moccasins are gone. Does anyone know of a high quality moccasin maker for trekking mocs? Thanks, Jimmichanga

UPDATE Arrow Moccasin in not closed. I just made an order with Paul for some moc. Whew.... they are still around happy to say.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Message Board All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You must Register or Log In to post new topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to reply to topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to edit your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to delete your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to vote in polls in this forum
Back to HistoricalTrekking.com