This site best viewed at 800x600 or greater resolution. Please support Our Advertisers. They make this site possible!

HistoricalTrekking.com
Small Horizontal Row
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
 CalendarCalendar   LinksLinks 
How to carry a black powder measure
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Message Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mgardner
User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:45 pm    Post subject: How to carry a black powder measure Reply with quote

I have several powder measures, nicely carved from antler tips, all of them are made with a hole in the tip, suggesting that some sort of cord or string was used to carry them in the field. How were powder measures carried in the 18th century? I assume there are multiple answers to the question and I appreciate your thoughts.

Mark Lewis
User

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I attach mine to the horn with a slender piece of buckskin.
mgardner
User

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark, thank you for your reply. I've been attaching my powder measure to the powder horn strap with a narrow strip of hide, threaded through two small holes about three inches apart, with the hide knotted at the other end to keep it attached to the strap. When not in use the measure can be pulled tight against the strap. This keeps it from dangling and getting caught in brush when moving through the woods. I haven't seen any drawings or writings from the period, so I can't "authenticate" my practice. I appreciate your response. Thank you.

ghrussell
User

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine hang from the shooting pouch and I tuck them in the pouch when not in use.

The scariest words you can hear. "We're from the government and we're here to help."
mgardner
User

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good idea. That eliminates the "dangling measure" problem, too. Thanks.

Lyndon
User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot speak to authenticity but mine is attached to my horn with a short lanyard. Since I carry my horn and bag on the same side I can still tuck my measure into my bag just under the flap to cure the "dangling measure" problem.
Find all public pictures posted by %s View user's profile Send private message
Paul C. Daiute
User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mgardner,
There were all manner of powder measures in the 18th century. Measures were made of a variety of materials such as tinned iron, brass, copper, wood, antler, gourd stem, bone, horn, or the measure may have been substituted with a paper cartridge containing a premeasured amount of powder. Some powder containers had spring measuring valves that dispensed a measure of powder or shot that did away with the measure alltogether . A powder measure might be found in a pocket, bag, tied to a horn strap, tied to the strap of ones cartouche box, at the end of a chain secured to a button, with a pic and brush on ones jacket or coat. An example of a tin powder measure may be found on page 46 in Of Sorts For Provincials by Jim Mullins. Look to page 79 in the book, The Book of The Continental soldier for an example of a measure tied to a bag strap. Madison Grant's book, Powder Horns and Their Architecture, shows a variety of powder measures from page 126 to 133. I hope this answers your question.
You didn't ask, but I keep a measure on a lanyard tied to the rawhide thong that suspends my horn flask that I use for partridge hunting. When not bird hunting and just in the woods or when interpreting history I keep a horn powder measure in my pocket. More and more I try to avoid being festooned with hanging items. My ramrod tools, turn screw, extra flints, fire kit and what have you find their way into anyone of my six pockets. All of what I do is based on documentation found in years of reading of New Englanders history and in Mayne in particular. Sorry, I know that information doesn't answer your question.
Regards, paul
'

Last edited by Paul C. Daiute on Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:57 am; edited 3 times in total
mgardner
User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, thank you kindly.

Lyndon
User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Daiute,
I am curious about the container with a spring measuring valve you mentioned. I have seen the Track of the Wolf "Powder Horn Valve Kit" but I believe it is just a valve and not a measure. Is it similar this design or more like a charger?

Thanks,
Find all public pictures posted by %s View user's profile Send private message
Paul C. Daiute
User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lyndon,
The best example I can give you of a powder container with a valve that dispensed a measured load of powder, was the Pulverin flask, used by the French, the Spanish military also had their version of such a flask and Americans used the same mechanism at the end of horns or flasks. Using your thumb on a catch that opened a levered gate, your fore finger was placed over the spout's mouth. The open lever allowed powder to file the spout that was a specific volume when the horn was up ended. As soon as the spring lever allowed the gate to close the finger was removed from the spout opening and the powder was poured into the barrel. There are other mechanisms that did the same thing. Look to The Rifle Shopp Catalog to see both the French and Spanish versions of such a flask for quick reference.
Paul
nwtradegun
User

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:05 pm    Post subject: measure Reply with quote

I use 2 a 60 and 100 gr., both have thongs tied to them and are hung inside my bag with a thong tied to outside strap. no noise ot lost pwdr measure.
mgardner
User

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob,
Thanks for your reply. Your solution seems to be effective and solves the problem of dangling measures. It also seems to be the solution of choice for most of the people I've heard from. Preferences and solutions probably varied in the 18th century, and there seems to be very little direct documentation regarding practices. I appreciate your response.

kopfjaeger
User

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ghrussell wrote:
Mine hang from the shooting pouch and I tuck them in the pouch when not in use.

I do the same thing. I hang my measure, pan brush, and vent pick from my bag from a leather tong and keep them in my bag till needed.

sonny
User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have my powder measure hanging from a woven linen line, attached to my shoulder strap, which go's thru the hole in the tip of my powder horn, with enough length to be tucked into the bag. The horn is then held to the bag by the tucked in powder measure, an when the measure is pulled out of the bag for loading, the tip is never lost or one more thing in my hand when pouring the measure full for the load. When finished the tip slides down to the horn tip, where I reinsert it into the horn tip, an the extra length of cord to the measure is tucked back into the bag where it can't be lost or get wet from snow or rain..............Darn thing works like a charm!....If you are shooting in a woods walk, just let the measure dangle without tucking in bag, cause you will be shooting more shots.......sonny
coloneltubbs
User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:06 pm    Post subject: Powder Measure Reply with quote

I, like others, keep my powder measure on a cord made from woven sinew and tucked inside my shooting bag. As a poor hunter I have my measure made from a piece of cane. I carved it one weekend while sitting in camp. I made sure to allow for extra length of the cane so I could incorporate a pouring funnel. I used a cone shaped stone to grind a slot in the funnel and it works great. I also used the same cane to make signal whistles for my hunting partners. Sure makes locating each other much easier.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Message Board All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You must Register or Log In to post new topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to reply to topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to edit your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to delete your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to vote in polls in this forum
Back to HistoricalTrekking.com