This site best viewed at 800x600 or greater resolution. Please support Our Advertisers. They make this site possible!

HistoricalTrekking.com
Small Horizontal Row
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
 CalendarCalendar   LinksLinks 
new to historical trekking?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Message Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jrbaker90
User

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:02 pm    Post subject: new to historical trekking? Reply with quote

This is my fist post I love the muzzleloaders era and I am a civil war reenactor and been doin for 5 season so I'm not new to the black powder firearms but the era before the civil I sm new and I really don't know where to start at I'm doin research on which era I want to go for I like the longhunter of the rev war and after but they wasn't in my area which is west north of Memphis and fairy close to the Mississippi river and the mountain man era wasn't either I'm jus looking for a point in the right direction thank
depot7254
User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

try finding a local unit that is based in local history. Nail down time, place, etc first, then start using primary docs such as newspaper abstracts, inventories, period descriptions ,etc to build your persona.

ALRA #258
1640-50's New Netherland
jrbaker90
User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I talk to my local historian and he said there wasn't anything here from like 1682 til 1820 and there isn't any club or anything that I know of but there's a mountain men long rifle club so I'm goin to explore them out thanks
Fitzhugh Williams
User

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Mississippi was French until around 1763 and there are some units that go to Fort DeChartres, near St. Louis on a regular basis. Try contacting the Fort and they can supply you with contact information.
depot7254
User

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it really depends on what you want to do. If it's a military persona look long and hard in the area. If you just want to be in the woods , hunting , scouting etc. Build your persona around your interests. Where I live is filled with historical sites, grave yards, etc from the 18th century so building a local persona attached to a site is easy. I know people in the area that doa rifleman persona even though it doesn't fit . Why ? that's what they like. Whatever you do , research then buy not the other way around. Don't just get what people "who have been in the hobby since 74" have. If you really want to represent our heritage research , shop around, ask questions, etc then buy.

ALRA #258
1640-50's New Netherland
jrbaker90
User

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am wanting to do hunting and scouting I do civil war reenactment so I want something more relaxing and more hunting I'm try of shooting blanks lol so I'm interested in the long hunter era from during and after the rev war I'm just getting my feet wet so any advice would be great lol
depot7254
User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really my area but try mark baker's books, John Curry who posts on this board has many books on Middle Ground hunters too

ALRA #258
1640-50's New Netherland
coloneltubbs
User

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:51 pm    Post subject: new to historical trekking Reply with quote

Jared,
All of the replies to your request are spot on. May I suggest your local library to see if they have any of Mark Baker's books on the self. Same goes for John Curry. If not, ask for a library to library book loan. Hopefully you will hit pay dirt.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Stophel
User

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you want to be the classic "Trekker". ;) Which sounds good to me. Don't feel like you have to actually be in the specific place for what you want to "reenact" (for lack of a better term).

By all means, get the Mark Baker "Longhunter" video series. I watch them over and over!

http://www.americanpioneervideo.com/
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

:)

"Most people are birds in gilded cages. They are fed every day, their newspaper is changed, and they can see the television from their perch. They cannot fathom why those stupid wild birds outside the window, alone against the elements, fending for themselves, would not want to be safe and secure inside a nice comfortable cage just like them." - Me
AxelP
User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Stophel… I am in CA and we do various forms of Kentucky settler, land speculator/surveyor, market hunter, militia---even a jumped ship sailor impression-- doing this of course in the Mtns and Forests of central and northern CA.

There are a lot of options other than long hunter that roamed the frontier…

My ancestors were in Kentucky around 1775 doing land speculating and then moved back east and north to fight in the War (8th PA rifleman with Morgans)… then returned just before the war ended and hooked up with GR Clark and his VA boys. He eventually settled in KY and then Indiana when that area opened up…But during their lifetimes, they traveled between Kentucky and their family lands in VA/Maryland fairly often if I recall. Plenty of excuses to be in the woods….

K

Mike/MO
User

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will second the suggestion to contact people at Fort de Chartres.

You might find it worth your while to come to visit the Fort during the April Trade Faire. This year it will be held on April 5 and 6. While this is a juried event and only participants will be allowed to be there in juried 18th century attire, visitors (in modern clothes) are welcome to attend. This is good place to meet people who are active in 18th century longhunter reenactment.

Perhaps a bit closer to your home is Fort Massac near Metropolis IL. Fort Massac hosts a F&I War Encampment on May 10 and 11.

Zack Ziarnek
User

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:09 am    Post subject: Kaskaskia, de Chartres and the Mississippi valley Reply with quote

Jrbaker, I too am a refugee from CW... I burned out about 5 years ago and paddled a canoe into the 18th century. It left no trail to follow to return to CW.

Keep in mind that even after Fort de Chartres, Kaskaskia, etc. were turned over to the British in 1763 many French inhabitants remained there and the British military didn't make it out until 1768 because of the pesky Pontiac and his rebellion... ;) That being said French is not the only way you have to go. The market hunters of Bayton, Wharton and Morgan hunted out of Kaskaskia. They ranged far and wide. As far as c(lose to Nashville) Tennessee, Arkansas, Kentucky, and Missouri.

Best of luck in your new endeavor!
Zack Ziarnek

paddlingcamper
User

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 3:49 pm    Post subject: Looking for 18th century trkers near Springfield, MO Reply with quote

I am just getting back into this after an 18 year hiatus, Used to do lots of trekking in the 90S In 18th century gear. TVM will have my rifle finished around the end of July so I will be ready to hit the trail then. Just making stuff now like mocs, possibles bag, leggings, longhunter shirts etc, Would like to have some trekking partners and paddling partners however my canoe is not period correct. Would like to hear from like minded trekkers or clubs in
the Springfield, MO area. Thanks

Find all public pictures posted by %s View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Magwa
User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in Cecil County, Maryland and have done Civil War Reenacting myself some years ago. Since then, I was diagnosed with cancer and that has slowed me down a good bit from reenacting. Historic Trekking, although new to me, seemed to be a perfect fit.
I am a hunter safety instructor and one of only 4 or 5 Trapping Instructors for the State of Maryland. Black powder is a natural progression fir me and as I'm stuck in my house because of cancer, I decided to transform some of my yard for hunting and trapping. I'm in the process of building a shooting table for my side/back yard. I have pretty much transformed my life into historic trekking. It's not just a weekend thing for me, but at the same time, I'm still growing.
If there is anyone in the Cecil County area that wants to talk and possibly get together, send me a message.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Message Board All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You must Register or Log In to post new topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to reply to topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to edit your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to delete your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to vote in polls in this forum
Back to HistoricalTrekking.com