This site best viewed at 800x600 or greater resolution. Please support Our Advertisers. They make this site possible!

HistoricalTrekking.com
Small Horizontal Row
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
 CalendarCalendar   LinksLinks 
New Fly Rod
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Message Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adam W

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gabriel wrote:
Damn yankees haven't seen a fish fry! Good fishing to all!

Ah yes, that's why I love being from Florida....fresh grouper, grunts, blue crab, shrimp, sea trout and my favorite: smoked mullet!!!! Of course after dark we can go frog gigging, and gator hunting too and there's always softshell cooter to be found.

But we don't have crappie...that's what you guys from parts north call 'em. Us crackers call 'em specks. Yummie!!!

Speaking of mullet, we use cane poles to catch them off the docks. Lots of fun.

I think I'm gonna go out Tuesday after the holiday and see what's biting.

Adam
Michael Galban
User

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 9:54 am    Post subject: great lakes fish Reply with quote

You southern boys nedd to get on up to the BIG waters here in NY. I just feasted last weekend on smoked walleye. Yes, you can smoke a fine walleye - tastes like a little bit of heaven. In Tyendenaga they were still spearing them up untill a couple of weeks ago.

nopaosak

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me be the first to say, I love Orvis Rods. I've been to the facotry, taken the tour, visited the museum. (I live 10 minutes away) Those rods are built with top workmanship, they play very well on the stream, and employ a ton of hilljacks from the local area. Your Orvis rod is made by a Vermont Fly Fisherman.

Yes, it's the man, not the gear that get's the fish. Good fishermen know what's gonna hatch, how deep the fish will be based on the weather, and aren't afraid to put a precious "Shushan Postmaster" into the crook of a fallen tree. But Orvis makes a fine product and employs some of the best, down to Earth, Willy's Jeep drivin souls I have ever met. So hate the fisherman and not the gear and keep my friends here employed.
Mike Ameling

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, John.

No offense meant to the Orvis working folk. It's some of the people that buy their stuff that are hard to endure.

Just like the guy who buys a rifle from one of the major gunbuilders, and then expects it to improve his abilities/skills enough to win all the shooting matches. Good "tools" help, but in the end it's the person.

A friend had to pick up a couple east coast "businessmen" a couple weeks ago at the airport in Prairie du Chein WI. They couldn't believe that he could drive them an hour north up into Minnesota - WITHOUT HAVING TO STOP AT THE BORDER AND PROVIDE PAPERWORK TO CROSS THE BORDER! They were also amazed that there were no CHECKPOINTS on the bridge over the Mississippi River when they crossed over into Iowa. These were US corporate Executives - not some ferrrin country visitors. It was one of their first times in the "fly over" parts of the USA.

And YES, these guys regularily deal with Washington politicians helping make policy for the peons in the rest of the USA!

I could understand them not understanding much about farming, logging, fishing, etc., but the whole world doesn't revolve around that ... asphalt jungle!

The truly sad part is that there are way too many people right here in the upper Midwest that are just as clueless as these "businessmen". People like them kind of make you wish there was some sort of "checkpoint" at the border to keep such jokers out - or more properly - to keep them in their own little city "world" and out of our hair.

Mikey - that grumpy ol' German blacksmith in the fast dissappearing Hinterlands
Ironbear

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam for sure mullett are great before all the hurricanes we use to throw a castnet for them and catch big ole gulf mullett.Up the rivers we us cane{actually bamboo poles} with gold hooks and wigglers in a baited hole using cottonseed meal for the bait and then we have snatchhooked them to,uumm fresh mullett with cheese grits and white bread
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Message Board All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  
You must Register or Log In to post new topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to reply to topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to edit your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to delete your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to vote in polls in this forum
Back to HistoricalTrekking.com