This site best viewed at 800x600 or greater resolution. Please support Our Advertisers. They make this site possible!

HistoricalTrekking.com
Small Horizontal Row
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
 CalendarCalendar   LinksLinks 
Inner/Outer Moccasins

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Message Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Morgan
User

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 1:49 pm    Post subject: Inner/Outer Moccasins Reply with quote

In Mark Baker's "A Pligrim's Journey" he describes wearing an inner and outer moccasin of two different styles.

How many of you use this practice and can it be documented?

Morgan

KHickam
User

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 8:22 pm    Post subject: I have in the past Reply with quote

Not sure about the documentation - but it sure helped when I was trekking in the winter.
Gabriel

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on the conditions/period/persona, as always. Nippes and the like have been documented by Daiute and others plenty here, and wool/whatever scraps just wrapped/stuffed are all over the place.

Have read a bit on layers of wool under mocs, but no real descriptions as far as construction.

Ike Walters' article in OTT awhile back covered current doc. for Great Lakes, but may not apply if you live in Alabama.

Above about 40F w/no snow, barefoot is better than wet mocs, liner or not!

Mr. Archer's description of the types of moccasins nails it, but I can't recall his exact words. He'll pipe in if we're lucky :-)
Kentuckian

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may be about 80+ years later than your interest, but I remember reading that John "Liver Eating" Johnson used to make two pairs of buffalo mocs at the same time (hair turned in) and then wear them both simultaneously because it felt better when he kicked his Crow adversaries. I have a "double" pair of mocs that I wear when I want more protection for my feet (like trekking through the Sierras), but not so much bulk as a shoe-pack style moc. Seems to work OK for me, but I can't speak to the historical accuracy of this in the 18th Century.
Isaac
User

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is also that "moccasin" that was excavated at Crown Point (I believe that was where...). Hard to tell what the heck it is, but it appears to be a crude outer "moc" with a softer normal moc inside.

IW

mike moore

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 8:08 pm    Post subject: inner/outer mocs Reply with quote

I have use and still use this combination on certain outtings. The nice
brain tanned deer mocs (sinew sewed) feel good, but do not provide the protection I need on some surfaces, so I put a outer pair over them.
This pair is a little thicker and work well, while still giving me the feel
of ground.
mike.
Capt Mike

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 9:32 pm    Post subject: mocs Reply with quote

There is one passage of middle ground accounts that says hunters took off the hair on buffalo mocs and wore liter indian dressed mocs aruond camp,,,but,,I dont think it said if or not they were wearing the liter mocs inside the buffalo ones or put them on much as 'camp slippers.'
AdamLW

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 3:25 pm    Post subject: mocs Reply with quote

This mabey after your period, but Osbourne russle describes a mountaneer w/ blanket hose wrapped around his feet and punt into leather moccasins -- I don't have it in front of me to get the exact wording, but essentially, moccasins worn over wool wrappings. Adam
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Message Board All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You must Register or Log In to post new topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to reply to topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to edit your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to delete your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to vote in polls in this forum
Back to HistoricalTrekking.com