This site best viewed at 800x600 or greater resolution. Please support Our Advertisers. They make this site possible!

HistoricalTrekking.com
Small Horizontal Row
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
 CalendarCalendar   LinksLinks 
Cod Line, What is it

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Message Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
L.R.NELSON

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:50 pm    Post subject: Cod Line, What is it Reply with quote

Ok, Just read the thread on twine and need to ask the question. What is code line and what does it look like? size, diameter etc. I have read about the use of it and tried to look it up and asked other in conversation but can find no answere to the question at hand. Thanks
Lee
otter
User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cod what is it , Well it's cotton hard lay, usually it's 1/8 inch but can vary from smaller to just over an 1/8 & Stockholm tarred. Used for netting , any net for large fish. I use for my knotting projects , bellropes, beckett handles , lanyards. It's getting harder to find but I've a good source. Hope this helps
Otter
R.N. Great Lakes Squadron, Superior Station. Crown Forces North America
Rod L
User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about sturgeon line, then? Alex Henry the younger writes of both cod line and sturgeon line--how are they different? Or is it just two names for the same thing?

Rod

Wes

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's usually linen rope, 1/8" or so if I remember correctly. The wet linen rope actually got stronger when wet.
ditmurier
User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stockholm tarred
Hello Otter.
Hey I am searching for resin/rosen to use as a sewing medium? I still use what you gave me but think that a stronger mix is in order. My source shows what looks like a block of tar that threads are passed over and used to secure boar bristles to threads? Do you have any thoughts?
Francois Labiche
User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fiddle rosin? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosin - Heat before use.

ditmurier
User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have looked at it and it does't appear to have the same qualities?
L.R.NELSON

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Otter, I knew an old salt like you would know about cod line. I see it mentioned in journals and inventory, just could not place it in my hands.

What about rope, being used in the interior and journal entries, do not see much on it around great lakes. One had to have it coming from ships, I see from ship inventory there was plenty of rope to be had. I mean the larger stuff not cod line. You know a good hanck of rope..1/2" diam and larger.

Lee
Irish John

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It also refers to a type of rig used for Cod fishing in old times. Using the line/rope as described, baited hooks were attached over a long length of line and set out on the Cod fishing grounds with a weight at one end and a bouy at the other. These were left for about 12 hours, then picked up by the fishermen. The line was pulled in, fish removed and the line was coiled into a wooden tub to then be rebaited and reset. This form of fishing was used in the west country of Ireland from Galway to Kerry. My Uncles have told me stories about fishing this way when they were young lads. If you ever get to County Galway, visit the Irish National Museum of Country Life. They have a display which has film of this type of fishing from traditional Currah boats. I believe this method of fishing was also used in the Maritime Provinces of Canada from Labrador to PI.
otter
User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr, Nelson if you Please! ;) Here's where I've got rope for my sea bags
http://www.reconstructinghistory.com/index.php?c=126&w=24&r=Y
For cod line, hard lay & the such Martin Combs is the MAN!! here's his address
http://www.angelfire.com/ak/skateworld/index.html
L.R.NELSON

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Otter , I thank you my good Sir, you are too kind to my misfortune of a over worked paddler!!. Good day sir
Lee
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Message Board All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You must Register or Log In to post new topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to reply to topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to edit your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to delete your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to vote in polls in this forum
Back to HistoricalTrekking.com