This site best viewed at 800x600 or greater resolution. Please support Our Advertisers. They make this site possible!

HistoricalTrekking.com
Small Horizontal Row
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
 CalendarCalendar   LinksLinks 
Anybody looking to go for a walk in the woods?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Message Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hessian
User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:06 am    Post subject: Anybody looking to go for a walk in the woods? Reply with quote

Some of us are getting together this Labor Day Weekend. One or two nights, Daniel Boone Forest, nothing too strenuous. (travel light or bring bearers)I know it is short notice but what the heck! PM me or email hessian1957@yahoo.com
Hessian

Shawnee Mike
User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would go if I have weekend off. Have not been in woods for a while.
Keep me posted.

Stalhorse@yahoo.com

Hessian
User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far there are about four to six of us. The weather is looking to be tolerable. I may take my dawg, he's well behaved, sociable, & makes a great early warning device in camp. I took him with us on one scout & he woke me up just in time to suprise a coyote slinking into camp. At least it looked like a coyote in the light of the campfire. We had a deer roast hanging from the tripod over the fire slow cooking. He took off with my dog Buster hot on his heels. I called Buster back and we went back to sleep.
Hessian

Hessian
User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well,
The trip went well, albeit a little wet! The rain expected on Sunday arrived Saturday night.
There were 3 of us, Scott, his son, Ethan, & me. I decided to leave the dawg at home. We arrived at the trailhead Friday evening & decided to sleep in the car rather than stumble around in the dark. Slept well & hit the trail at the crack of dawn.
Scouted till around noon & then stopped nearby a small stream and cooked the steaks I had packed in. That along with Scott's corn cakes made for a good lunch!
I just hung around "camp" while the others scouted the area & went to fill canteens. When they returned, I had placed some targets in front of a few backstops & everyone tryed their luck. I'm pleased to say everyone hit what they were aiming at so we attended to our firelocks.
Later on that evening we had a tastey stew of grits, dryed peas, & Jerky & layed down to sleep.
We didn't sleep much though. I was awakened by raindrops & rushed to secure all my gear & stash it in as dry a place as I could find. It was dark, pouring rain, & we heard trees crashing down. We weighed our options. We couldn't safely move given the terrain & the darkness. We huddled under our wet blankets & waited till morning, trying to keep our spirits up. We thought of how the original longhunters would have coped & we knew that in time we would be going back to warm, dry, homes. I was very thankful there was a break in the rain about 4:30 am. It looked like my pardners were asleep, so I caught a few winks before dawn.
As soon as the sun rose we packed up our soaking wet gear and headed out. It had taken us several hours to make it in, but we weren't moving real fast. We pushed pretty hard coming out. It rained steadily the whole way! I told Scott, "I'll bet the sun comes out once we get to the car." Of course it did.
We stopped for a hot meal in a nearby town, (lots of strange looks from the patons of the resturant) & began the long soggy ride home.
I spent the rest of the weekend washing & DRYING my gear!
Hessian

Hessian
User

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:40 pm    Post subject: It's been over 4 years . . . Reply with quote

My how things have changed!
I just read an old post about a trek some friends and I went on back then.
Now my health has changed and things are more difficult if not impossible.
(heart disease sucks!) The mind is willing but the body is weak.
Brothers get out there and do what you can before you can't.
I'm lucky to be married to a wonderful woman(a nurse) who takes care of me. I miss the "trail."

AxelP
User

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

things can change so fast. time has a way of catching up with ya and stomping you into the ground. we always think there will always be another day but that is not the case. every day is precious boys... spend them wisely.
K

Shawnee Mike
User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:54 am    Post subject: Scouts Reply with quote

Well Hello All,
Its been a while.

I know its winter and some of you hardier souls are out and about, But i do not do cold real well anymore.

I am However up for some deep woods scout come Spring. What you all think about putting some things together ?

Maybe something centrally located to the persons interested. I dont mind travelling a bit.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Message Board All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You must Register or Log In to post new topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to reply to topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to edit your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to delete your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to vote in polls in this forum
Back to HistoricalTrekking.com