This site best viewed at 800x600 or greater resolution. Please support Our Advertisers. They make this site possible!

HistoricalTrekking.com
Small Horizontal Row
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
 CalendarCalendar   LinksLinks 
home made quilts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Message Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coloneltubbs
User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:30 pm    Post subject: home made quilts Reply with quote

I was looking at an old quilt my wife was going to send to quilt heaven. Before doing so I would like to ask if anyone knows if a longhunter would have used such a covering? It is lighter than wool and would be good for a fall trek. I realize that no one would be there to judge me (except for myself) but I want to do it right.

Thanks up front for any input.

Sanscoeur
User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say that we are more aware of the use of blankets because they were trade goods, they could be found in merchant inventories, and many of those inventories have been recorded as part of the historical record. A thriving international industry was making big money from their distribution and sale. Quilts, on the other hand, were strictly homemade and small-scale - never intended for mass production, and therefore never suitable for large-scale capitalist gain. Because no batteau was ever laden with quilts and cordelled up a river for trade with primitive Native tribes they don't play a very significant role in recorded history. But they were certainly on the scene throughout the historical period. I would think that it would almost be a certainty that somebody carried a quilt with them across the frontier. Because they were made by caring hands at home the bearer of a quilt would probably have been some kind of family man, and not the romantic nomad who peoples our imagination about the characters that broke timber and trapped beaver. I can't recall ever seeing a quilt in a colonial or a frontiersman's death inventory, but it might just have been annotated as "blanket" by the notary.

All in all, the only limitation that I see on quilt carrying in a historical reenactment situation would be to not carry one with day-glo colored fabrics, and one that was stitched in a traditional pattern. Go for it!

coloneltubbs
User

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:18 pm    Post subject: quilts Reply with quote

Mine is of faded, muted colors from old worn out material. No matting between the top and bottom. Back side is of faded white material. This is not a blanket for temperatures below the 50's. This is a typical home made blanket of average means.
Thanks for the reply.

Paul C. Daiute
User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See below.
Paul

Last edited by Paul C. Daiute on Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:33 am; edited 2 times in total
Paul C. Daiute
User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say we are more aware of blankets because that's what is being used in the 17th and 18th century most commonly. Trade blankets enter into the equation but are only part of it with home woven blankets being a significant part of the total number. I believe that quilts are more of a 19th century item much like the fancy woven bed covers one sees. The term quilt may also refer to a petticoat. You may see the term "patch blanket" in reference to a quilt. I'm not saying that there were no quilts being used in the late 18th century.
As an aside the trade blankets are more likely to be one piece where the home made blankets will be joined of two sections often with any stripes being carefully aligned to be confluent. If you are interpreting 1700s period history in the English colonies the safest bet is to stay with what was common for your gear. How you interpret history or "reenact" is your choice and a matter of your commitment to authenticity.
I would like to ask, what was the percentage of the total population that were "Long Hunters" in the 18th century?
Paul

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Message Board All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You must Register or Log In to post new topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to reply to topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to edit your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to delete your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to vote in polls in this forum
Back to HistoricalTrekking.com