This site best viewed at 800x600 or greater resolution. Please support Our Advertisers. They make this site possible!

HistoricalTrekking.com
Small Horizontal Row
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
 CalendarCalendar   LinksLinks 
Hunting pouch question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Message Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve G
User

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:55 pm    Post subject: Hunting pouch question Reply with quote

I got to wondering if buttons or some type of closure was used on original 18th century hunting pouches. So what's the boards opinion on originals with buttons? Also who uses some type of closure on theirs?
Find all public pictures posted by %s View user's profile Send private message
Sanscoeur
User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, I don't claim to be an expert on hunting pouches. This is merely an observation from my limited experience...

There probably aren't more than a handful of bona-fide 18th century hunting pouches still in existence across the entire world. Some examples make the 18th century claim but can't produce the provenance. This makes it hard to make a general statement about how such bags were constructed. Of those that I've seen I can't recall seeing buttons to secure the flap on any of them. Even if you consult some of the later published works regarding equipage and accouterments - and those works almost universally depict 19th century examples - buttons are only found on a minority of the subjects.

If we was sittin' next to a fire and you asked me this question, I'd answer "no".

Steve G
User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:42 pm    Post subject: Hunting pouch question Reply with quote

Thanks, opinion is as appreciated as much as knowledge on this subject. My personal thought process was they needed to get into their pouch as fast as possible and having to undo a button could mean the difference between life and death.
Find all public pictures posted by %s View user's profile Send private message
James Hunt
User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lacking any particular knowledge on "original" shot bags - but have done a bit of "experimental archaeology" I have found that my 18th century persona most often done on the ground walking does not need any type of closure on my bag. I have a long flap that extends a bit below the bag and that keeps all items secure even with all the trips and falls I have sustained. Doing the early 19th century western fur trade on horse back is a different matter.

Anyone who has done any amount of work on a horse knows that unplanned dismounts are part of the game. When that happens you and your stuff goes in all directions. Most important is making sure your rifle has a soft landing without you or the horse on top of it. Your landing comes second - all else is unimportant. Considering that most trappers must have rode rank horses, and that they were months away from resupply, security of the items in a bag must have been critical. I have a large horn button on my 19th century bags and have never lost anything from it. I don't think I could make that claim with my 18th century bag.

I have to think that horse use in the wooded area of the east was different than that on the plains and in the mountains, horses type and behavior was probably different. I think the the first guy crawling around in prairie grass looking for his stuff convinced him of the need for bag security. Whereas the up close and personal surprise contact with the locals in the east made bag access more important.

Then again, experimental archaeology is at best slightly informed guess work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Message Board All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You must Register or Log In to post new topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to reply to topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to edit your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to delete your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to vote in polls in this forum
Back to HistoricalTrekking.com