This site best viewed at 800x600 or greater resolution. Please support Our Advertisers. They make this site possible!

HistoricalTrekking.com
Small Horizontal Row
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
 CalendarCalendar   LinksLinks 
Moccasin Maker Needed
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Message Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AxelP
User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

watch out re: Arrow sizes. They run kinda big in my experience.

AxelP
User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jimmichanga, I pm'd you re: trans sierra hikes.

Ken

justsara
User

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:20 pm    Post subject: moccasin maker Reply with quote

try
athistorysdoor Lou Calabreese
he does make top of the line centerseam and puckertoe moccasins.
Fincastle
User

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimmichanga,

One thing you might consider in the future if you'd like to construct a rugged moccasin for trekking is the "shoepac" or Ligonier moccasin. It can be made with multiple soles that are easily repaired or replaced as needed. You can construct them with uppers of your desired height for warmth and protection. And you can construct them in a summer weight, or with integral layers of blanket wool liners for colder temps as needed.

I have made and used several pairs over the years, and they have served me quite well.

Mark Baker's a Pilgrim's Journey Vol I & Vol II have good information on how to construct them. Mark also house some good video on construction available through Pioneer Video.

Fincastle

"A nod's as good as a blink to a blind horse."

Fincastle
User

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also,

Just for the record.... In regard to Dyer Moccasins.... I have been involved in living history, trekking, hunting in period clothing and gear for 38 years now. My first pair of "store bought mocs" were a pair of Carl Dyer's original double soles in 1979, I have had them re-soled of few times over the years, and they are still going strong. Excellent quality, excellent customer service, great investment.

I'm now on my second pair of the original style. I don't wear them to events as they are not period correct for my 1758 provincial ranger impression, but I do wear them hunting, trekking, and just around the house.

I have considered a pair of his buffalo center seams, and at 46 y.o., I know they would last me the rest of my life.

Fin

justsara
User

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:12 am    Post subject: moccasins Reply with quote

I am justsara and I also make great moccasins. Mine are our of elk or moose but are the voyager type that have a tounge and back and a sole, then I put in two more inner soles to it makes a long day on your feet as comfortable as I can ......
I did not know you would write back to me, I was just giving you some info on a trader that does make great mocs.....
have a great one ,
as always,
sara
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Message Board All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  
You must Register or Log In to post new topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to reply to topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to edit your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to delete your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to vote in polls in this forum
Back to HistoricalTrekking.com