This site best viewed at 800x600 or greater resolution. Please support Our Advertisers. They make this site possible!

HistoricalTrekking.com
Small Horizontal Row
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
 CalendarCalendar   LinksLinks 
on the fly

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Message Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Smoky
User

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:04 pm    Post subject: on the fly Reply with quote

Greetings , we are going to shoot clay birds this weekend, what load would work in a fifty four caliber ? I have never tried wing shooting before . Thanks for your reply .
Sanscoeur
User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm no expert in the arts and mysteries of firearms, but if I had a .54 I'd be concentrating on four-legged targets rather than those of the winged variety. I believe that a higher gauged smoothbore would serve you better in the pursuit of clay birds.

Smoky
User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes , that would probably be true , but I just want to see if I can hit one. That is the only flintlock I own , guess I will take the Benelli also.
Paul C. Daiute
User

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smoke,
I would use 50 grains of FFG, a card wad, a cushion wad, an oz. of whatever shot equal to the powder charge, and an over wad. Use FFFFg powder in the pan and only prime to just below the touch hole. Tend to your flint and touch hole and swab your bore out every few shots. If you like shooting on the wing and think of hunting I would recommend that you read Chris Gilgun's article in Buckskinner #8 on page 100, "Wing Shooting with a Flintlock". Try follow thru when shooting at the bird, you'll come from behind keep your gun in motion and shoot as you see the bird but pull ahead after you fire. Remember that flintlocks have a faster ignition then percussion. I know that this is just a fun try out for you so those are the basics.
I hunt with a 12 bore club butt fowler and use # 6 shot for grouse. I also have a double flinter that I use # 8s for Woodcock. My English Setter, Tess, sets me up for my shots.
Good luck to you, wing shooting is yet another dimension with a smoothbore and is what the piece is really all about. Smoothbores the versatile gun,
Regards, Paul
Smoky
User

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your advice! I am going out with some scouts tomorrow . With your guidance maybe I will scare them birds , many thanks .
bob miller
User

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul's advice is spot on. Many years ago I built a 28 bore for partridge hunting.
[ I foolishly sold it ! ]
It performed far beyond what one would expect for a smaller bore size.
Your .54 is close enough to the 28 , so I predict you'll have a lot of fun with it.
Paul C. Daiute
User

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 28 bore has the same good pattern that a 12 bore has and is light weight. More modern hunters are experimenting with the 28 bore for grouse hunting. The shells are expensive and sometimes hard to find. I would bring my son up to bird hunting with the .28 rather then the .410.
Paul
Paul C. Daiute
User

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smoke,
So how did you do?????????????????????????????
Paul
Smoky
User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentlemen . sorry for the delayed response. My house came down with a bug . I did not get to go. We are going to try it again soon . Thank you for the advice , Smoky.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Message Board All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You must Register or Log In to post new topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to reply to topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to edit your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to delete your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to vote in polls in this forum
Back to HistoricalTrekking.com