This site best viewed at 800x600 or greater resolution. Please support Our Advertisers. They make this site possible!

HistoricalTrekking.com
Small Horizontal Row
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
 CalendarCalendar   LinksLinks 
Muzzleloader Magazine articles

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Message Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coloneltubbs
User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:33 pm    Post subject: Muzzleloader Magazine articles Reply with quote

I have at my office some 15 years of muzzleloader magazines. In those many magazines one can find great articles written by many a knowledgeable writer on the long hunter. I find my self being drawn back once in a while to some of these articles because I just enjoy re-reading them. One of my favorites is by Mark Baker in the May/June 2000 about "Soup Meager".
With that, have any of you have such a favorite article written by anyone in particular that you find yourself reading over and over?

Just curious.

Paul C. Daiute
User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to read and reread Chris Gilgun's article entitled, "Wing Shooting with a Flintlock Shotgun". For those interested look to page 100 in the book, "The Book of Buckskinning VIII".
Paul

Last edited by Paul C. Daiute on Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Paul C. Daiute
User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both Fred Gowen and Chris Gilgun have been our mates. Fred could and should have been the Mark Baker for the New England Region. Mark Baker never intended to be a universalist for the 18th century experience and material culture but did homogenize the 18th century East Coast. His readers no matter where they were tried to squeeze the square facts for their particular area into a round hole. Fred Gowen never wanted a lot of attention nor did he ever have any commercial interest in his 18th century knowledge and experiences. He did write a wonderful article for "The Book Of Buckskinning VII" entitled", A Typical Days Journerny in Winter. If interested it may be found on page 166. He is an articulate and charitable guy who went out and in this instanced shared his experience in writing. The "A Typical Days Journey in Winter" article was a relevant how to primmer then and now for anyone going out for an over nighter or for a few for days. Few could keep up with him then or now.
Fred's an amazing guy and he wrote an amazing classic. I read it every Fall.
Regards,
Paul
mtmike

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I truly envy you gents with the books,,my sole source for reading is Muzzleloader, the books you speak of,,never seen,much less got to read
Paul C. Daiute
User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My books help me to establish parameters for interpreting my ancestors history. The books are a key that opens the door for me to travel back in time. Long before computers books provided the needed answers to so many questions and created even more questions. We all have different reasons for being in what folks call " the hobby". My goal is to interpret history through documented research to educate myself and to share what little I know with other interested individuals. I am surrounded by the history of Mass Bay colony's frontier the district of Mayne. I would not even know of the history but for the books. So when I'm on snowshoes walking 19 miles over the ice of the Kennebec River from Fort Halifax to Fort Western I know that countless other men did the same back in the 1750s. I know that the same river was the route taken by explorers in the early 17th century and that armies traveled this rout to go to the villages of the Native peoples to wage war and later on to Quebec to wage more war. When I read what Fred Gowen has to say I know my winter gear, clothing, food, and musket are in line with what the poor Winter soldiers of Mass Bay used. We all eat the foods we need to nourish our bodies and read what we need to nourish our brains. I'm very thankful for the library of books that I've collected over the years despite my wife's objections.
Coloneltubbs, I'm sorry for the diversion from your topic.
Paul

Last edited by Paul C. Daiute on Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:56 am; edited 3 times in total
coloneltubbs
User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:09 am    Post subject: Muzzle loader Reply with quote

Sir,
No apology needed. I enjoy the open dialog and hope more will reply to my post.

coloneltubbs
User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:15 pm    Post subject: Muzzle loader Reply with quote

Mike,
Have you ever tried your local library to see if the they have any of the books you are looing to read? If they do not have the book, ask about the library loan system. There the local librarian can ask other libraries to loan the book if they have it.
I have done this in the past and have had good results.
If I remember correctly, even the Library of Congress has a loaner system.

mtmike

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

General Tubbs,first off Sir,congratulations on your appointment!
As for the Library , I was by luck able to get SOTF,but that was all they could find. Would love to read Mark's other books but,,,,,,,,
Jason
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mtmike wrote:
General Tubbs,first off Sir,congratulations on your appointment!
As for the Library , I was by luck able to get SOTF,but that was all they could find. Would love to read Mark's other books but,,,,,,,,

Mark's other two books - "A Pilgrim's Journey Volume I & II" are still available for sale and can be ordered through the MUZZLELOADER website.

Mark also had a chapter in one of the Books of Buckskinning but volume is already sold out.

Currently only Volume III, IV, and VII are available but I will be reprinting all of the Books of Buckskinning in the future. Hopefully next year but it might be a little further out.

Publisher:
HistoricalTrekking.com
MUZZLELOADER Magazine
Find all public pictures posted by %s View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mtmike

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank You Jason,,will be on watch for new editions.
mtmike

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a gentleman mailing me 3 volumes of the Buckskinner series to read,so things is looking up.
bob miller
User

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a number of articles that I reread every year. Paul Daiute has mentioned some of them . My most often referred to writings are by Mark Baker, [ even though I'm not a "long hunter" and Mark Sage. Many of the topics addressed by Mark Sage are related to the time and geography similar to my interest. Travelling by canoe , especially.
Paul C. Daiute
User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason,
I'm thrilled to know you will be publishing the old Book of Buckskinning series. These publications still offer pertinent information and as I said many are classic articles now.
Thank you very much!
Paul
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Message Board All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You must Register or Log In to post new topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to reply to topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to edit your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to delete your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to vote in polls in this forum
Back to HistoricalTrekking.com