This site best viewed at 800x600 or greater resolution. Please support Our Advertisers. They make this site possible!

HistoricalTrekking.com
Small Horizontal Row
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
 CalendarCalendar   LinksLinks 
indian trade musket
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Message Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mario
User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben Coogle wrote:
This is twice the price of the Kings Musket!

Yes, but half the weight...;-)

Mario

http://bycanoeandsnowshoe.blogspot.com/
Find all public pictures posted by %s View user's profile Send private message
Jason
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:05 pm    Post subject: Trade Guns Reply with quote

Mario,
Not to disparage any of the makers you listed (for they are all good people and have products that I do like) none of those are good versions of the 18th century English trade gun.

If I were you, I would do either one of the following.

1) Buy one from Benny Coogle

2) Buy the Brooks kit, and have a local gunsmith put it together.

In our area (both Georgia & Tennessee), there are lots of local gunbuilders who aren't well known but do a reasonably good job at building. I can think of several in our area offhand. I am sure you can find someone in your area who could do it for you. They just need to remember one thing about the "Type G" it needs to be LIGHTWEIGHT and SLIM!

My gun only weighs about 5 pounds.
JG

Publisher:
HistoricalTrekking.com
MUZZLELOADER Magazine
Find all public pictures posted by %s View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Luke MacGillie
User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mario wrote:
Is that so??? I thought they were prdominantly VA/NC/SC/GA found guns.

What sites were the parts recovered from? I've been trying to put together the image of an "Indian gun" from Sir William's store for 2 years now. Was Wilson producing such types/styles?

Mario

Mario,

The parts came from the Upper Castle area, Came from a Digger, and are not in any site report.

For a reasonable copy of a Chiefs Grade gun, a Caywood with 46 inch barrel and non figured wood is a good choice. This is a pic of a Chiefs Grade gun that I had Mike Hutter make me. Its a copy of a piece that is in a private collection. Its very much like Caywoods Wilson. The wood is actually figured English Walnut, not curly maple.

The next images are of a Jack Brooks made Type G compared to a Type G in the Dressler Collection. I had Jack take off the Brass sight and install one like on the Dressler one.

Mario
User

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Trade Guns Reply with quote

Jason wrote:
Mario,
Not to disparage any of the makers you listed (for they are all good people and have products that I do like) none of those are good versions of the 18th century English trade gun.

If I were you, I would do either one of the following.

1) Buy one from Benny Coogle

2) Buy the Brooks kit, and have a local gunsmith put it together.

JG

I know those would be the best choices from an accuracy standpoint. Unfortunately, they aren't really feasable economically.

Mario

http://bycanoeandsnowshoe.blogspot.com/
Find all public pictures posted by %s View user's profile Send private message
chris
User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for all the great advice. I borrowed the book Colonial Frontier Guns and went to some sites that were new and exciting. I cant wait to start my own gun. I am currently working on a kit from Muzzleloader Builders supply. I am building a 54 early VA. Wish me luck. I also want to take the opportunity to invite everyone out to Martin Station. Hope to see as many of you there as possible.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Message Board All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  
You must Register or Log In to post new topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to reply to topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to edit your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to delete your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to vote in polls in this forum
Back to HistoricalTrekking.com