This site best viewed at 800x600 or greater resolution. Please support Our Advertisers. They make this site possible!

HistoricalTrekking.com
Small Horizontal Row
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
 CalendarCalendar   LinksLinks 
Fiddling!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Skills and Crafts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Newburghboy
User

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:39 pm    Post subject: Fiddling! Reply with quote

Hi to all,

I was unsure of where to put this posting but I suppose you could well say that fiddling is both a "skill" and a "craft".

Anyway, I can play a few good 18th. century tunes on my fiddle and I was wondering if anybody has any favorite tunes that they would like to suggest I look into, so I can expand my repitoire, something good for dancing, maybe I havent heard of it, or dont know it (18th. century please). Anyway Im interested in hearing from you fiddle lovers.....

thanks..Mike Littlejohn/Brooklyn NY
Loyalist Dave
User

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look up music by Niel Gow, who was a well known 18th century violinist, and wrote a bunch of dance tunes.

LD

Crooked River
User

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael,

Old-time music is dear to my heart. When I was younger, I played banjo and guitar in a band, and we traveled a lot to the festivals in the mountains. I never took up the "devil's box" myself, but had the pleasure of playing with some great fiddlers. Family, career, etc. then took precedence, and I haven't played in years.

The material we played was mostly from the late 19th - early 20th century, although the musical roots of some of those tunes could be traced back for centuries.

Anyway, earlier this year I discovered the film, Under These Same Stars, and ended up buying the DVD and the soundtrack. The story is about an incident in the Illinois country in 1773, and it is very well done. Here's a link to more information: Under These Same Stars

Click the tab for "Ordering Information" to find the DVD and CD. There are a few samples from the soundtrack, to which you can listen. I think these are primarily French creole tunes, and the principal fiddler is Dennis Stroughmatt.

I don't know if your interests lie in any particular genre of colonial music, but I think you'll enjoy these selections.

Brent
Newburghboy
User

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:27 pm    Post subject: I'll check it out... Reply with quote

I do thank you Brent I will check it out...Mike
Scott Allen
User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try "Flowers of Edinbourgh", "Auld Lang Syne", "Star of County Down", "Red is the Rose", "Rosin the Beau". Pretty much anything by Neil Gow as Dave said or Robert Burns. Check out a CD by Christian Wig called "Chadwell's Station". He has a collection of frontier fiddle tunes and a real cool cover scene done by Bryant White.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter, and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
~Abraham Lincoln

Last edited by Scott Allen on Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:19 am; edited 1 time in total
flashpan
User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play a big old bass fiddle in a bluegrass band. (I know, I know,.....not the vintage music you're looking for, but I had to share this)

A friend of mine plays anything that has strings, and plays them all very well..........so I asked him once if he played the fiddle.

His response - "I tried to learn to play the fiddle once,.......it was the worst seven years of my life!"

Anyway, any songs I might like to recommend would be too new, but good luck in your search!

hellbilly075
User

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:49 am    Post subject: Fiddle Tunes Reply with quote

What about "Whiskey In The Jar"? Not sure of the time but I think it's a least 17th or 18th century ballad. My Grandparents on both sides are from Scotland and my Dads Mom is constantly singing old highland ballads. Whiskey In The Jar is an Irish tune though as it says "as I was going over, the Cork and Kerry mountains...". Its one of my favorites..:Eric
Swanny
User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a link to hundreds of traditional folk songs from England, Scotland, Ireland, Wales, &c.

http://www.contemplator.com/folk.html

I've had the pleasure of listening to Athabascan fiddlers, who stick very true to the traditions their great-grand-parents learned during the 19th century fur trade. If you can find a CD or two from Athabascan fiddler Bill Stevens you'll get a good feel for the music that originated in Scotland and the Orkney Islands during our time periods.

If you can find recordings of Athabascan fiddlers from villages down river from Nulato, you'll be able to hear the Russian influence. The differences between the two styles are so remarkable that cultural anthropologists dedicate a lot of time to studying the nuances of each. There is a prof at UAF who loudly claims that the up-river music is as close to the original 18th century styles and sounds as can be heard today.

Swanny

A good dog is so much a nobler beast than an indifferent man that one sometimes gladly exchanges the society of one for that of the other. (William Francis Butler) Stardancer Historical Freight Dogs at http://www.tworiversak.com/mushing.htm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Skills and Crafts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You must Register or Log In to post new topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to reply to topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to edit your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to delete your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to vote in polls in this forum
Back to HistoricalTrekking.com