This site best viewed at 800x600 or greater resolution. Please support Our Advertisers. They make this site possible!

HistoricalTrekking.com
Small Horizontal Row
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
 CalendarCalendar   LinksLinks 
White Buff Leather The Search Continues...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Skills and Crafts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigdeutscher
User

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:45 pm    Post subject: White Buff Leather The Search Continues... Reply with quote

Just Started diong British Rev War and I want to do my own leather work
What is the best way to get the chalky whiteish, yellowish look of White Buff on your straps and belts

Without it bleeding on to my very high dollar regimental RED coat
As long as it looks right I need to know the best way to get that LOOK
White leather dye from Tandy is to shiny
Should I try thinning it ? And if so, with what?
Deutsch

Loyalist Dave
User

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, white and buff are not the same. Buff is the natural light tan of the leather, and you only treat it with leather dressing to keep it from drying out. Something like Kiwi Neutral and a brush works. White leather has actually been treated, and the best way is to get strapping for belts that is already white, then maintain it as such.

You may want to decide whether you want the smooth side "out", away from your body, or if you want the rough side out. Either is correct. The same is true for 18th century shoes, rough side out is fine. It is easier to modify buff to white at home if you use the rough side out..., in my experience. DON'T modify the surface that touches your clothing..., nobody sees it anyway.

Either way, you might want to get Kiwi White "Scuff Cover", and you apply it, let it dry, and you may need to re-apply a second or third layer. This is sort of the stuff nurses with white shoes use This works OK for smooth or rough side out.

I prefer to use on smooth-side-out leather, Melton Shoe Cream - White. Use a little at a time, rub it in, and be sure you don't leave any in the holes for the belt keeper(s) as it will then get on your coat. You need to rub it in and allow it to "set" before you don your equipment, so you can't do this 10 minutes before inspection. You do the outside the belts, you don't do the side that touches your regimental coat, and only do the edges of the belt when you have to. Buff with a small shoe brush, but BEWARE you must not use a brush for "white" on anything but your white strapping. Get a second brush for your shoes and other black stuff like your cartridge box.

The use of grease & wax and kaolin clay (pipeclaying) doesn't work well at all and goes everywhere..., I think in this century we are doing it wrong, but I don't have a need to experiment with that to figure it out yet.

Loyalist Dave
Maryland Loyalist Battalion
God Save The King!

bigdeutscher
User

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:58 pm    Post subject: Good men loyal to the Crown Reply with quote

Please let me extend my thanks ...for presenting me with this valued information
Deutsch
43Rd of foot

Loyalist Dave
User

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure thing "Dutch" :D

I don't know if you're in the same 43rd that I have worked with in the past on the East Coast, but I hope you are, that's a good group.

PM me if you need other help with kit. FYI your regimental will get some soiling from the cartridge box and from the belts..., can't be helped. I can also show you how to clean a wool regimental and have it fit when dry.

LD

bigdeutscher
User

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:20 pm    Post subject: Why Yes.... It Is The Old 43rd Reply with quote

I was Looking for a Bess and found these folks ...Very good People
Thanks If I need anythig else I will Get Back to you
Deutsch
For King and Country

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Skills and Crafts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You must Register or Log In to post new topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to reply to topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to edit your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to delete your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to vote in polls in this forum
Back to HistoricalTrekking.com