This site best viewed at 800x600 or greater resolution. Please support Our Advertisers. They make this site possible!

HistoricalTrekking.com
Small Horizontal Row
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
 CalendarCalendar   LinksLinks 
Horse Hair Lines

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Fishing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stinky Mike
User

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:40 pm    Post subject: Horse Hair Lines Reply with quote

Anybody try to make them? i have and I am not impressed so far with the strength of them. I've been making three stranded braided lines.

I'm not sure the color has anything to do with it either, as all colors seem to be equally weak.

Last edited by Stinky Mike on Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:53 am; edited 1 time in total
badWind

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what IS a good line ?? Ive tried linen thread, too weak, hemp thread is either too stiff or to brittle..... maybe silk ??
Don Beltrami
User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try a hemp line for the body of the line with a long leader of waxed linen thread or catgut or silk. My observation of period poles though is that they tend to be rather longer and that is used to get the bait closer to the fish rather than a long line to cast or drift the bait to the fish.
Loyalist Dave
User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was told a mare's tale hair was incorrect, as her urine would naturally weaken the hair. The lines must be made of the hair of a male horse.

LD

Don Beltrami
User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard that too, but I've just never done well braiding horsehair anyway mare or otherwise.
Stinky Mike
User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don, what size line do you use? Diameter?

Don Beltrami
User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just use a plain old length of hemp twine that you could get at any hobby or craft store- I dont know what diameter it might be, I've had different size lines depending on what ever twine I had available, and I usually change it pretty frequently. For the leader, it's pretty much the same-I've used some heavy silk thread I got at an event, and I've used some heavy black waxed linen thread, maybe .3 mm-.5mm. Generally what ever I happen to have on hand. Catgut I haven't tried yet, I've seen it advertised a couple of places but I'd like to get it somewhere where I can get my hands on it first to see what its like. I'm not really fishing for anything large or challenging, just sunnies or small brookies. Larger fish or fishing for regular sustenance I think people would've used trot lines or hand nets or weirs more than poles.
dannyb55

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about codline? That's what the dorymen used, Maybe Mystic Seaport has some for sale.
Loyalist Dave
User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got some linen line, old, from Ebay, that I use as my leader. Works very well. I use either silk or cheat with monofilament for the line to the fly.

I'm still working on getting the angling part right. I have a proper rod, and proper flies, so I will work on the technique before I finish with doing the line100%.

LD

norseguy
User

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am no expert on 'Colonial Fishing'...but I am having great fun getting into it...

I have a 3-piece cane pole...but I recently saw the hand-made ones by Mark Roster(Dakotah Rooster)and they are clearly Superior to any I have seen...

I bought Linen Line from Mark a year or two ago...I believe he got it from Paul Jones at Historical Angling....
The Linen Line is to be used From the Pole to the Leader...and it is a Serious Line Line...nothing like what you would get in a fabric store, for example...

HA also sells CATGUT...Real Silk Lines...to be used as 3 Foot Leaders...
It must be Wetted before tieing or using...
And obviously...the snelled hooks or snelled flies can be tied/looped to the Leader...

HA also sells Spade(Eyeless)Hooks...AND also sells SNELLED Hooks...AND PERIOD FLIES!!! ...And English Quilled Floats!

About two years ago I tried to get with Mr. Jones...and that just did not work out...I understand he had some honest,real issues so I will not dwell on that...
But when I ordered Very Recently from I had immediate response and very prompt shipment...so I trust all is well with him now!

I am not 'shilling' for Paul...but I now have Everything I was looking for and not finding!!! Take a look and judge for yourself!!!

http://www.historicanglingenterprises.com

Norseguy in Wyoming
virginiaregiment
User

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Anybody try to make them? i have and I am not impressed so far with the strength of them. I've been making three stranded braided lines.

Mike,
I have made them, and they are fairly weak- I have used 3 strands for bluegills, and recommend many more strands for larger fish- you can also mix silk threads in there. For larger (bait style vs fly) fishing I use hemp line.
JM
badWind

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

O.K. now this works.... got an OLD OLD spool of Brainerd and Armstrong buttonhole twist silk thread.. 'D' weight.. landed a LUNKER rainbow yesterday... so now I know.....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You must Register or Log In to post new topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to reply to topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to edit your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to delete your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to vote in polls in this forum
Back to HistoricalTrekking.com