This site best viewed at 800x600 or greater resolution. Please support Our Advertisers. They make this site possible!

HistoricalTrekking.com
Small Horizontal Row
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
 CalendarCalendar   LinksLinks 
1750's Period compass
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Message Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pathfinder

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ALRA is American Long Rifle Association. I am probationer. This is the first "organization" I have joined though I started "doing" interpretative history in '74. So I am trying to humbly submit to my sponsor and rules of the organization. A compass was on the list of required items and as I am checking equipment as obtained, I thought to remove the compass as an obstacle to my acceptance.

As my final goal, in regards to the program I am developing for our school, colonial surveying and astrological navigation will in time, be part of our instruction. I have found various articles of reproduction colonial surveying equipment as well as reproduction octant to help facilitate this part of our instruction/interpretive exercise.

Pathfinder
LRB
User

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 10:25 am    Post subject: compass Reply with quote

If you just need to get by for your persona, I'd just get one of Bill Farmers. They are neat looking, and for what you get, they are priced right.
Jason
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:19 pm    Post subject: Confused Reply with quote

OK,
I had misread and I was confused.

Doug, you need to decide whether you want a pocket compass or a surveyor's circumferencer.

To my knowledge there is no such thing as a Small Surveyor's compass. A surveyor's tool is a Circumferencer and meant to be used from either a pole or a tripod and is quite different from a compass.

However there is a good bit of ducmentation for pocket compasses in the 18th century. A very dear friend of mine has a modest collection of original 18th century pocket compasses. Perhaps he will let me shoot a couple of pictures to post here at a later date (or better yet, he will do it himself).

One popular example that most reenactors use is the little Rogers Ranger compass with the sundial. This is similar to a surviving example except the real compass is marked with degrees. In my opinion a compass that isn't marked that way is useless. If I were in the market for a pocket compass, I would get one of these from Danny Morse:

http://www.trade-silver.net/boxcompass.htm

They are great.
JG

Publisher:
HistoricalTrekking.com
MUZZLELOADER Magazine
Find all public pictures posted by %s View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
LRB
User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:54 pm    Post subject: compass Reply with quote

I would second Jason's advise. Those are really nice looking, and don't cost much more than the one I previously suggested.
Pathfinder

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys for all the help!

Pathfinder
Jon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:20 pm    Post subject: compas Reply with quote

Check out Soft Wind Speaking (610) 793-2363 Last year at the Eastern she had some neat ones at very reasonable price. Brass with screw lid, but no sundial.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Message Board All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  
You must Register or Log In to post new topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to reply to topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to edit your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to delete your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to vote in polls in this forum
Back to HistoricalTrekking.com