This site best viewed at 800x600 or greater resolution. Please support Our Advertisers. They make this site possible!

HistoricalTrekking.com
Small Horizontal Row
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
 CalendarCalendar   LinksLinks 
Little Red Pirogue... (pics)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Message Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yaquina143

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:09 pm    Post subject: Little Red Pirogue... (pics) Reply with quote

A while ago I picked up the plans for a Pirogue on the net and have thought about building one for a while. So, I used my last two Saturdays to build one and here it is.

Earlier this afternoon and I took it to a local pond about three miles from here and gave her a try. I have to say, I am both elated and disappointed. Elated that she does in fact float and moves through the water quite nicely... disappointed that she is not as stable as I thought it would be.

I had made this little pirogue for both my wife and myself, for use on little fishing day trips. But once it was in the water I found that all of the "amazingly stable" comments about pirogues that I have read were grossly over exaggerated. Although it seems reasonably stable, it handles much like a standard canoe. Good for going from one place to another, but a bit wobbly for fishing, working, etc.

I don't think that I would have much trouble with fishing from it by myself, but it is just wobbly enough that two people would probably be a bit dangerous. Frankly, I was expecting a far more stable craft from the descriptions I have read online. Some people even claim that you can stand up in these without any balance or wobble issues... that is entirely untrue, at least in the case of my craft. Don't get me wrong, it tracks nice through the water and is just as stable as any canoe or similiar craft.

I am looking forward to doing some fishing and traveling in this little girl soon, but it would have been nice if it would have turned out a little more solid on the water. Either way, I think it turned out pretty nice and not to bad for just a couple of days work.

Has anyone else got a pirogue? Is yours stable or a bit on the "canoe" side of wobble? Is there a way to make this craft more solid on the water?

Here are some more shots of her... She is named the Kia-Kay. Kia (K-eye-ah) is my daughters name and Kay is my wifes middle name.

Pathfinder

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yaguina,
I am not trying to brown nose you.....................but you're truly an amazing talent!

Pathfinder
Yaquina143

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Pathfinder, I appreciate the praise. I have spent the better part of my 40 years on this planet working with my hands and building things from scratch. It comes from growing up in a poor coastal town and having no money at all. I ended up having to make everything that I wanted. The only thing that has changed is that I don't live in my small coastal town anymore... the money situation has remained the same unfortunately.
brian
User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent Craftmanship! You built that in only two days! I am impressed. Have fun fishing.
LRB
User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need more width in the bottom, and 16' minimum in length to accomadate two people and have any stability and room. Was this an "Uncle Johns"? A tad more out flair may be worth consideration. Stinky Mike will probably post on this. He built one one a couple of years ago, and had similar problems.
Pathfinder

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yaquina,

I have to say with your talent, you shouldn't be in the same "money situation" for long. Hopefully God will give you the same innovation to promote your work as He certainly has given your hands the skill and your mind the vision.

Pathfinder
Dave Muns
User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dana,
great looking stuff. How much does the boat weigh?
Stinky Mike
User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dana,
It does take some getting used to. They are a bit tipsy to say the least. It gets a little weird when the wildlife is just a little smaller than the vessel you are in. You are more aware of the “instability”.

Keep yourself as low as possible. I ran three floor boards the length of my boat, sitting on top of the ribs, with some support in between. This keeps me lower, but also keeps my bum and equipment dry.

I am in no way able to stand in mine, but then I don't see a need for it. I can paddle it in a seated position just fine.

I keep saying my next vessel will be a punt/scow. With a 4’ beam and about 10’ LOA, it will be a bit more stable, fit in the back of my pickup easily (8ft bed), and carry more people safely. I think I will be able to stand in this one if needed.

Maybe a small wall gun mounted in the bow……

p.s. you did a really nice job on that boat. I really like the color scheme.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Message Board All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You must Register or Log In to post new topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to reply to topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to edit your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to delete your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to vote in polls in this forum
Back to HistoricalTrekking.com