This site best viewed at 800x600 or greater resolution. Please support Our Advertisers. They make this site possible!

HistoricalTrekking.com
Small Horizontal Row
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
 CalendarCalendar   LinksLinks 
fingerwoven sashes, straps, and garters

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Native Reenacting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doug Rodgers

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:57 pm    Post subject: fingerwoven sashes, straps, and garters Reply with quote

Jason Wolz just posted some new fingerwoven sashes, garters, and straps on his Eholee-Opal website. To get there just go to Google and type in Eholee-Opal and it should come right up. Email him if you have questions about the right style for the region or the tribe that you are most interested in. I have several of Jason's sashes and am very pleased with them. I also consider them to be a bargain. These sashes are made in Guatemala by Indian women and if it bothers you that they are imported you may need to look elsewhere. There are very few fingerweavers in the US these days who offer their wares for sale. There are still some Indian finger weavers in Oklahoma, mostly Osages, but they rarely sell to the general public, and produce almost entirely for their own family members. Tom Conde does fine work and sells to reenactors.
nogoshe chobee
User

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:37 am    Post subject: FINGER WEAVER Reply with quote

I RECOMMEND IRENE RODGERS (218) 472 - 3023 . SHE'S VERY REASONABLE & GETS HER WOOL OUT OF CANADA AT A SMALL MILL THATSTILL TWISTS THEIR WOOL IN THE 18CENT MANOR & USES CORRECT DYES IN THEIR COLORING PROCESS. SHE IS WELL THOUGHT OF HERE IN FLORIDA BY THE TRIBE & FELLOW RE ENACTORS-MIKE
Okwaho
User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: fingerwoven sashes, straps, and garters Reply with quote

Doug Rodgers wrote:
Jason Wolz just posted some new fingerwoven sashes, garters, and straps on his Eholee-Opal website. To get there just go to Google and type in Eholee-Opal and it should come right up. Email him if you have questions about the right style for the region or the tribe that you are most interested in. I have several of Jason's sashes and am very pleased with them. I also consider them to be a bargain. These sashes are made in Guatemala by Indian women and if it bothers you that they are imported you may need to look elsewhere. There are very few fingerweavers in the US these days who offer their wares for sale. There are still some Indian finger weavers in Oklahoma, mostly Osages, but they rarely sell to the general public, and produce almost entirely for their own family members. Tom Conde does fine work and sells to reenactors.

I would add a few thoughts to the good advice from my friend Doug of the Southeast .The articles produced by Jason Wolz, Tom Conde,Tim Connin{Ohio}, Jim Hart {Illinois}, David Hobbs {Aabama} are among the best I have seen.As to the Eholee-Opal material it is indeed produced in Guatamala by women trained by Dick Carney before his death.Carney, as most of us know, is generally credited with being a major force in the revival of finger woven material.One if not my major complaint with most weavers is that the wool is too thick.There are a number of sashes shown in Bou'jou Neejee {Ted Brasser} and almost all of them are described as being made of "hard-textured tightly- spun woolen yarn" and one {No. 21,P.72}from the Sir John Caldwell collection Ca.1780 is described as "finger woven, using threads made by twisting together ravelings from commercial wool cloth....fringes are of twisted double strands"
Finger woven material from the weavers I have mentioned is as close as one can get to the thickness of original sashes and other materials.I have sashes,straps,and garters from three of these weavers and an early tumpline from Tom Conde and have been eminently satisfied with their work. I cannot comment on Irene Rogers' work not having seen any of her material.
Another complaint I have with many weavers is that they tend to make the woven portion of their sashes too long. These sashes were tied with the fringe which is the reason why many early sashes are found with somewhat shortened fringe.The double wrap around sashes are later and probably date to the very late 18th century and on into the 19th century.
Tom Patton

Susan
User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple more comments here. As for weaving, Jason and the other weavers mentioned are all excellent. James Blake is also doing some good stuff. Blake is also doing his own (natural) dyeing for the finger weaving.

Now, on the yarn, what a twisted subject it is. Every weaver will say he or she is using CORRECT yarns as seen in the originals. What else would the weaver say!! There are many variations in yarn, from the wool fleece to the spin to thickness etc. Some is woollen spun (fuzzy) and some worsted (smooth). A couple of weavers I respect have told me a certain brand of woollen spun 2 ply we can get now is as close to originals as they have seen. Then again, there was worsted listed on trade lists. And there were a few instances of blankies being unravelled and 2 strands of singles spun together to make a 2 ply.
I have dyed some of the yarn Irene uses. It is very nice. The commercial colored yarn she gets is that, commercial colors. I am sure she uses 'good' colors, as does Jason Wolz.
In short, there is no one answer or yarn.

Rowsey63

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is he still in business? I have tried to find him off and on this year and can't find him anymore.
Okwaho
User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dana, I couldn't find Jason either. His work is excellent and the Guatamalan women doing the weaving were originally trained by Dick Carney. I seem to remember something about Jason having some health problems but haven't heard anything more.Maybe someone else can help here.
Tom Patton

Rowsey63

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tom. I had my eye on a few sashes but waited too long to order. Hopefully, they are still available.

Dana
raymond the younger

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: FINGER WEAVER Reply with quote

nogoshe chobee wrote:
I RECOMMEND IRENE RODGERS (218) 472 - 3023 . SHE'S VERY REASONABLE & GETS HER WOOL OUT OF CANADA AT A SMALL MILL THATSTILL TWISTS THEIR WOOL IN THE 18CENT MANOR & USES CORRECT DYES IN THEIR COLORING PROCESS. SHE IS WELL THOUGHT OF HERE IN FLORIDA BY THE TRIBE & FELLOW RE ENACTORS-MIKE

I second, what Mike says about Irene, know her for about size years and love her work....
raymond
josephprivott

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay gang, here's the Wolz dilemma: he isn't having them produced anymore. There are a few left that are for sale by another gentleman (some sash/garter sets, and garter pairs). He decided to flatline everything at 150 for garters, 330 for sashes and "a discount" for buying the matches (idk how much it was). I can't attest to the illness, never discussed that with either jason or this other gentleman.

I've had a devil of a time finding more than three other fingerweavers, and have begun to call reservations. My sincere wish is that Jason would pass the torch, even if temporarily, to someone else in order to keep the supply of these goods up. Reenactors and pow-wowers alike relish in owning his items and their quality/price.
Rowsey63

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you get hold of the gentleman and see what he has in stock?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Native Reenacting All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You must Register or Log In to post new topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to reply to topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to edit your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to delete your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to vote in polls in this forum
Back to HistoricalTrekking.com