This site best viewed at 800x600 or greater resolution. Please support Our Advertisers. They make this site possible!

HistoricalTrekking.com
Small Horizontal Row
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
 CalendarCalendar   LinksLinks 
knife question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Message Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jasontn
User

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 10:47 pm    Post subject: knife question Reply with quote

do any of you guys use old antique knives maybe ones you have fixed up in some way? i like to rehandle them and sometimes redo the blades into better profiles. kinda new here on the board and havent seen much in the way of this was just wondering. i have some real good ones that i got into really cheap to be as good as they turned out.
thanks jason
Pathfinder

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jasontn,
you might want to post something on the "Roundrobin" thread concerning your knives........might get you more attention!

Pathfinder
jasontn
User

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

im not looking to sell anything you misunderstood i was simply asking if anyone else did this im in no means looking for the "attention" you have implied

Last edited by jasontn on Mon May 28, 2007 12:49 am; edited 1 time in total
jasontn
User

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 12:44 am    Post subject: knife question Reply with quote

just looking to see if anyone else shares an interest in something i do
Capt Mike

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 4:51 am    Post subject: jasontn Reply with quote

Jasontn..there are quite a few folks that do just this thing you mentioned.

Some might chime in about the correct handle attachment...number of 'pins' etc., for a given time frame.

Iv thought about doing some myself...make them correct to the period. Most antique and 'junk' stores sell them for next to nothing,,,,,which is a good thing !

Happy knifing sir

Capt Mike
Pathfinder

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My apologies jasontn! I thought we might have the opportunity to see your work if displayed there in the RoundRobin. I didn't mean to imply you were on a fishing expedition! Never the less I would still like to see what you make, just for reference. Perhaps some of us might get some inspiration from you...........from a technical vantage point.

Again, my sincerest apologies!

Pathfinder
p.s do you have any knives for sale?
Michael Archer
User

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How d' ye!

I don't because my wants/needs in a belt knife require a knife that is stouter than a typcial common table cutlery or trade type thin bladed knife.
But a pard of mine "recycled" old cutlery and trade-type blades with new handles.

Here is a sample of original knives that include "table cutlery" and "trade type" thin blades:

Michael Archer

jasontn
User

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no apology needed just didnt want people thinking i was fishing. heres some of the ones ive done that i felt like, and have been told turned out somewhat period looking the first one is a case xx and is the only one i have carried so far second is an unmarked one i restored for a friend here on the board it has some oak scales and iron pins and last is an unmarked one with a simple antler handle the stain on it was a mix of walnut and mohgany wood stains the 2 sheaths are made from some leather that is used in ball gloves like wilson brands i think i aint sure of the tannage

Capt Mike

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 1:20 pm    Post subject: Knives Reply with quote

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t151/1860Army/huck015.jpg

My four fav's at the moment...I appologize,but I have no idea how to post the pic to pop up here...feel free to visit the 'bucket' though.

Capt Mike
Michael Archer
User

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How d' ye!

Here ye go Capt. Mike...

Michael Archer

AdamLW

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are all pretty dang cool knives! I'm actually just getting into knifemaking-starting on my first one hacksawing it from an old crosscut saw blade. I'll grind and file to finish and put a 2 or 3 copper pinned antler handle on it and use boot leather for the sheath. Ill post a pic when it's finally done! ( I ruined a cold chisel trying to chisel it out of the sawblade! Oops! live n' learn...) Anyway, thanks for the pics, it's good input! Adam
Ironbear

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam if you have access to one a 4.5" sidegrinder and cutoff wheel will cut it out quicker go slow and you want heat it up to much.Of coarse a plasma arc is what I use at work when I want stock remove a blade.
raymond the younger

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:29 pm    Post subject: knife Reply with quote

jasontn and you all who are reading,

that knife in the second picture sitting on the bag looks darn familar, oh thanks right. that's my knife. and I love it had two offers, and told them both in another lifetime I'll sell it. blacksmith friend of mine likes it as well. Jason, do you have a picture of my monster to post up here. it's one hell of a knife guys. next for me is a neck knife, oh, jason we will have to chat....
happy wandering,
raymond the younger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Message Board All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You must Register or Log In to post new topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to reply to topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to edit your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to delete your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to vote in polls in this forum
Back to HistoricalTrekking.com