This site best viewed at 800x600 or greater resolution. Please support Our Advertisers. They make this site possible!

HistoricalTrekking.com
Small Horizontal Row
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
 CalendarCalendar   LinksLinks 
Toques?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Message Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jean-Paul

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:49 pm    Post subject: Toques? Reply with quote

I portray an F&I milicean and was wondering about toques. I have a knit "stocking cap" (triangle shape) one, i roll it up like a liberty cap, but i have also seen more bag styles on Canadians, i was owndering what is right, if the more triangle shaped ones came in later, if anyone had peroid picture of a Canadian wearing one. I also was wondering about the sewn ones, as to how common those ones were, and what pattern/ stule those would be

merci beaucoup!
-Jean-Paul
Isaac
User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And now... an original ca. 1760...

IW

Fitzhugh Williams
User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This spring at Fort Toulouse it rained hard Saturday afternoon and my tuque got soaked. Without thinking I rolled the bottom up when I went to dinner and it dried that way. When I rolled it down it was a couple of sizes larger. No problem though. I just wet the edge again and let it dry and it was back to normal. Best not to roll one in any case. Also, when in a rain, keep the hood of the capot on your head.
Pathfinder

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gee Isaac...can't you come up with any primary source documentation? : )

Pathfinder
Isaac
User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure...

“All Canadiens speak the same French we do. Except for some typical words,… They have forged some such as tuque or fourole to name a cap of red wool.” –d’Aleyrac p.31

" These toques were single or double night caps: the double night caps were knitted wool tubes closing gradually towards each end, and then one end of the knitted tube was stuffed into the other." -Peter Kalm, Canada, 1749

And the best tuque quote of all… 1792… “A half-breed, Amable Chevalier, happened to make his appearance, and observed to Reaume, that he had not plates enough on the table, as there was none for him. ‘yes, there are enough,’ said Reaume gruffly, when the Indian snatched from his head his red cap, and spreading it on the table, took both his hands and scooped from the dish of cooked venison, called by the Indians, pe-we-taw-gah, or prepared in oil, as much as he could, and dashed it into the cap.” Reaume will then respond by throwing meat at Amable and a small fight breaks out. Grignon’s Recollections, Collections of the State Historical Society of WI, Vol. III, p.247.

;-P he he he he

Isaac

Pathfinder

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dang! You're good!
ditmurier
User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But none of the ones you posted showed the tassles? Geeze, and were is the blinge?
Fitzhugh Williams
User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, and there was no trade silver sewed to the tuque. And there were no white ones. That's discriminating against Trois Rivieres :-)
Gabriel

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW the tassle has to hang somewhere between the clip on earring and the bottom of the beard. ;-)
Jean-Paul

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you guys very much for the documentation and pictures, its a great help!
Boulanger
User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had bought a great "voyaguer" knit cap from a merchant several years ago and it has held up well. I asked the woman if she could make a canadien style toque, and I was just collecting pictures to send her. Thanks for doing my work for me.... Does anyone know a merchant currently selling a proper toque, as shown in these pictures, that we could order from?
Merci
Mario
User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup. Issac's wife Hilary makes some nice ones. Got mine recently and it's top notch.

Mario

http://bycanoeandsnowshoe.blogspot.com/
Find all public pictures posted by %s View user's profile Send private message
Isaac
User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mario wrote:
Yup. Issac's wife Hilary makes some nice ones. Got mine recently and it's top notch.

Mario

Feel free to email me off-list for more info on this. waltei@btsd.k12.wi.us

Bellerose

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hillary's toques are top notch. I have been wearing mine faithfully for about a year now and have no complaints. No bobbles or bangles or tassles, just a simple red Canadien toque.

Well, occasionally I wear my other Canadien toque. The blue and white striped one with the CH sewn on it. Go Habs.
KarlK
User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:24 am    Post subject: Toques Reply with quote

Here are some more quotes from my past article on The History, Construction and Use of Toques which appeared in OTT.

Karl Koster

“All Canadians speak the same French we do. Except for some typical words,…they have forged some such as tuque or fourole to name a cap of red wool.”
~Jean–Baptiste d’Alcyrac, Canada, 1755-60 (Gousse, 35)

“ [do not]…let any militia man come [to church] wearing only a mantelet and tuque, when they are certain that these people have capots and chapeau [hats] at home.”
~ Monsieur deNoyan, at the request of a priest, 1756 (Gousse, 47)

“The Canadian Voyageurs…have a custom of pulling off their hats…”
~ Daniel Williams Harmon, Lake Huron area, 1800 (Harmon, 17)

“…dressed himself in the habit of a voyageur, that is, a short shirt, a red woolen cap…”
~ Sherman Hall, 1832 (Nute, 13)

“The red woolen knitted sailor’s cap or tuque was always a favoured headdress for both summer and winter wear in New France.” ~ Frances Back, (Back, 9-10)

“…[caps]were knitted wool tubes…”
~ Peter Kalm, Canada, 1749 (Gousse, 47)

“ 6 Worsted Caps”
~ list of goods sent to Arabasca Post of Cuthbert Grant, 1786 (Duckworth, 118)

“ The inhabitants for upwards of a century had been accustomed to manufacture in their own families…stockings and worsted caps knitted with wires.”
~ George Heriot, Lower Canada, 1792-1816 (Heriot, 100)

“ worn by such of the Canadians…a large, red, milled worsted cap.”
~ Alexander Henry (Elder), Lake Huron, 1761 (Henry, 35)

“ 4 mill’d Caps” ~ Cuthbert Grant’s inventory left at Arabasca, 1786 (Duckworth, 116)

“Adam got the better of him and took everything from him & put it in his own Canoe – even a Milled Cap that was full of pd [pounded] Meat went in the Lake – the other Cryed out for Mercy not to drown him or his Bonnet…”
Willard Wentzel, Slave Lake, 1802 (Keith, 171)

“Gave him a Small Capot for his Son, and a milled Cap for himself.”
~Willard Wentzel, Grand River, 1805 (Keith, 201)

“ 1 doz. Red Night Caps”
~ Peter Pond’s Grand Portage Inventory of July 22nd, 1775 (Pond, 1)

“…the men, in place of a hat, wear a red or blue nightcap of a thick texture…[they]cannot address each other on the street without pulling off their caps…”
~ John Duncan describing the “lower order” of Montreal, 1818-1819 (Hanson,C., 2)

“I have seen 2 of the most distinguished voyageurs. They were dressed in sky blue capotes, scarlet sashes & high scarlet night caps & moccasins.”
~Letitia Hargrave, York Factory, 1840 (Hargrave, 78)

“ These toques were single or double night caps: the double night caps were knitted wool tubes closing gradually towards each end, and then one end of the knitted tube was stuffed into the other.”
~ Peter Kalm, Canada, 1749 (Gousse, 47)

“ The men here often wear red wool toques in private as much as when they travel.”
~Peter Kalm, Canada, 1749 (Kalm, 415)

“ Amable Chevalier took [Charles} Reaumes red cap…filled it with the hashed venison.”
~St. Croix River, Wisconsin, 1790 (Wis. Historical Collection Vol. 3, pg.247)

“ The men were all French Canadian, with long red or blue caps, half of which hung down the head…”
~ David Thompson, South Branch House, 1786 (Thompson, 40)

The “…red or blue.” toques described by John Duncan during his Montreal visit, 1818-1819 (Hanson, C., 2)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Message Board All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You must Register or Log In to post new topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to reply to topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to edit your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to delete your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to vote in polls in this forum
Back to HistoricalTrekking.com